• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

3 year old male not eating.

Trey Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently purchased a 3 year old male bd from my local pet store Saturday. He has only eaten 3 superworms since I brought him home.I have been soaking him every other day and he drank a little water from his bath last night. His basking side is 105 and the cool side is 80. I have got him in a 75 tank with three sides enclosed. He starts head bobbing when he sees the females. Do I need to get him to a vet asap or do I need to give him a little more time to come around. Starting to get worried about his lack of appetite and help would be greatly welcomed.

P.S He has had 3 bowel movements since I got him.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
one of our members call this "moving sickness" - it may take him some time to come around. some less time, some more time. pooping is good. something else to consider is brumation. it's that time of year. my boy goes to sleep for 2 or 3 days, is awake and active for 2 or 3 days, down for 1 or 2, up for a few, etc. try some greens - older beardies may eat more greens than protein. watercress, arugula, dandelion greens, spinach or bok choy (not often tho - these should be limited) i just found out my boy loves cucumber, my girl likes orange squash (cooked and mashed). dont love on him too much for a few days - let him acclimate. you have other beardies?

Alysia Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes we have 4 other Beardies but have them in their own 75 gallon tanks below him so he can't see them. He is active for the most part and enjoys walking around the house. Before we bought him while he was still at the pet store he was being kept beside another full grown male with full view of each other and I know that added to his stress but not sure how long he went without eating before we got him. To what point is a vet visit a consideration? We don't want him to slowly wither away.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh how cool! a menagerie !! what a great photo! (just a wee bit jealous) A vet visit is NEVER out of the question. how long have you had him? I would give him several days - they are fairly resilient little creatures - even a couple of weeks. you might also consider brumation - it is that time of year. My boy sleeps for 2 or 3 days, then is up for 2 or 3 days and cycles through that. My last male would sleep for months (i hated it - i really missed him while he was out) Might be a good idea to have his feces checked for parasites - with 4 other babies around, you really woundnt want that problem to pop up (means a vet visit with recent sample)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow that's a house of dragons! lol awesome

Alysia Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
This Saturday will be a week that we've had him. He may be trying to brumate. Hopefully he won't starve to death during this time.

Alysia Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
12347681_1104961289516390_9194955617894160867_n.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I actually would take him to the vet just for a wellness visit. If you got him from a pet store you want to make sure he is healthy before he goes into brummation (if that's what he's trying to do). I do think it could take a week or so for him to adjust to his new home but if he's getting too skinny, there might be something else going on. Also, what Canicke said, offer more greens at this age than bugs, here are a few sites for ideas.
http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

My boy is like Canicke's dragon. He sleeps in his hide for 2 days then comes out for 2 or 3 then goes back in. Sometimes I do wish he would just sleep through and get it out of his system, but I miss him when he's sleeping :oops:

Trey Smith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah after hours of research we have come to the conclusion he is trying to brummate , we placed a hide in his enclosure and he started staying in it most of the day. He did come out yesterday looking around like he was hungry so I dropped in some dubia and superworms and he actually ate a couple plus we are keeping fresh greens in his bowl as well. I think he is starting to settle down.