• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

3 month old beard always partly black

Trevor barcello

Hatchling Dragon
Ever since I moved my beardie to the garage 2 weeks ago his beard is always a little dark. It fine after he eats or his baths but then it seems it is always dark an hour later. I took him to the vet 2 weeks ago and he got a dewormer. Tank is all good I got 81 cool side during the hottest part of the day about 104 in basking he usually hangs out on his hammock a bit away from the hottest part. Is this normal?
5811e75fc37188bbfde0a76aa8b2b28d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevor barcello

Hatchling Dragon
Got kinda off topic but yea usually when I take him out it goes white but when he’s just hanging in his viv it’s partly black

Trevor barcello

Hatchling Dragon
Yea he’s been eating a lot he did 15 large Dubia’s this morning and another 10 this evening. After the dewormer I was syringe feeding 5 ml of the glucerna shakes a day until she got her appetite back which was about a week ago.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The beard looks fine. It might be a little upset because of the dewormer and being moved to the garage. I would maybe cover the sides of the tank to make her feel a little more closed in.

Glucerna shakes are not a really good thing to feed a dragon. You don't want to give them anything high in sugar or artificial sweeteners. If you are looking for something healthy you can make your own slurry with healthy greens and some probiotic and calcium powders and a little plain coconut water or pedialyite.

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
I’ll be honest, I sometimes have the same concern for Puff. He’s Always much darker when in his tank, and brightens up almost instantly when we take him out. He’s colorful with an undertone of dark. When we put him back, we always notice his true colors, which is very bright and colorful. But we’ve always contributed it to his soaking up the warmth.

Trevor barcello

Hatchling Dragon
Ok thanks I covered the sides of the tank with green carpet. And it’s nice to know that he’s not the only one. I thought the glucerna was the weirdest thing to, I did it for 3 days until he started eating again. Lol best reptile vet in San Diego gave me a whole paper about feeding them the shakes lol. Any tips on getting them to drink water I think he’s pretty dehydrated. I tried spraying his face and waiting, syringe, spraying him down, and pedialyte he wot drink it.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Will he drink any while in a bath? that's where mine do most of their drinking. For the most part they get the needed moisture from the bugs and salads that they eat. But mine in the bath will willingly lick water drops when I put it on their snout. You can also try feeding nice juicy bugs like hornworms

Trevor barcello

Hatchling Dragon
No not from the bath. Yea that’s what I thought but his skin is pretty wrinkly all the time and when I went to the vet last she said she was a bit dehydrated. I used to do that but I’m not shire why he’s he’s barely drinking anymore. But i think I got it I just used a 1:1 pure cranberry juice to water a bit more water than juice.
Is this something I can do often? He rally drank a lot like that for like 5 minutes.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Cranberries aren't something that they can eat and juices are too acidic and just not good for them. Take a blender and throw in dandelion/mustard/turnip/collard greens. add enough plain unflavored coconut water or pedialyte to make it very liquidy and drip it on her snout with a syringe. Hornworms are also full of water and a great feeder for hydration.

Trevor barcello

Hatchling Dragon
Ok thanks I was thinking it would be to sweet. I’ll try that with the blender and let you know how it goes. I was doing the hornworms and supers for a while but he gets so spoiled on them and I always have trouble getting him to eat his Dubia’s again. He will jump down his basking spot all the way to the other side of the tank at the sight of hornworms:)