• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

20 gal to 40 gal

mjfreaks

Hatchling Dragon
Hi everyone
So far my Sidious is about 6 1/2 inches long. Ive had him since July 10 and I was wondering if it is ok to move him now into the 40 gal breeder that I have ready for him or should I wait til he gets a lil bigger?

I do normally see him glass surfing from 10:30am to 2pm mostly...
He likes to jump alot (crazy reptile)
He loves to hide
He likes to sleep wherever in his enclosure

I have this for lighting

2151603-center-1

and was wondering do I NEED to upgrade to a bigger wattage and if I do should I be concerned that he could get colder at night with it being such a bigger tank?
Temps at night have been as low as 69 and I usually cover him up and he is fine..but as a precaution should I get a CHE anyway.

I plan to use substrate of course and more hiding spots and climbing..

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
yeah get him in the new tank it will be fine. It might take him a few days to get used to his new house but he will love the extra space for jumping around in. A CHE for night isnt needed unless temps fall below 60, so you should be ok there

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
above 60 is fine even for a juvenile. They need to cool down at night so they can 'reset'. Yeah, information out there is mixed and outdated, this site normally has up to date info

mjfreaks

Hatchling Dragon
thanks so much. i feel so much better. I wake up at 1:30am all the time to check his tank..and I see it at 70 degrees and i put a blanket on him just to be safe you know..Im an over protective mom. But this gives me a better understanding. thanks

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone
So far my Sidious is about 6 1/2 inches long. Ive had him since July 10 and I was wondering if it is ok to move him now into the 40 gal breeder that I have ready for him or should I wait til he gets a lil bigger?

I do normally see him glass surfing from 10:30am to 2pm mostly...
He likes to jump alot (crazy reptile)
He loves to hide
He likes to sleep wherever in his enclosure

I have this for lighting

2151603-center-1

and was wondering do I NEED to upgrade to a bigger wattage and if I do should I be concerned that he could get colder at night with it being such a bigger tank?
Temps at night have been as low as 69 and I usually cover him up and he is fine..but as a precaution should I get a CHE anyway.

I plan to use substrate of course and more hiding spots and climbing..

Yea you can put him into the 40g breeder just maybe provide a few more hides. If you take a look at the links below several of our comments we've put together a ton of info that covers all the things you need, it also goes over temps and other general husbandry.. Please don't do any loose substrate.. I say this because they don't come from a sandy environment you can do excavator clay if you want a more natural set up however it can be a pain to clean.. We recommend ceramic tiles, reptile carpet, shelf liner, newspaper, paper towels.. Sand harbors bacteria from their urates and poop even if you think you get it all out. The sand also gets in their nostrils and eyes and can cause damage and they will ingest it over time and can cause impaction.
Nighttime temps can safely go down to 65F and they need the drop in temps as stated already, but they need it to really rest and reset their bodies.

I would recommend that you get a different UVB bulb set up as those are very focused and are more for a temp situation.. Most of us use Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 or arcadia bulbs.. These are long slender tube bulbs.. T5 's only need to be replaced every 10-12 months and can be placed on top of the metal screen tops and still reach the dragon. T8 's need to be replaced every 6 months and need to be closer to the dragon to be effective.

Poisonedbite

Bearded Dragon Egg
The t5 HO are also twice as strong as the t8's. And now I'll be converting my t8 fixture to a t5. If anyone wants to know how to do that, it's super simple. Just go to lowes/home depot, and ask for a set of t5 tombstones. They'll be in lighting. UNPLUG THE FIXTURE FIRST. Then you just open the casing, pull the wires out of the t8 tombstones, and plug in the new ones. Push firmly til the wires catch.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The t5 HO are also twice as strong as the t8's. And now I'll be converting my t8 fixture to a t5. If anyone wants to know how to do that, it's super simple. Just go to lowes/home depot, and ask for a set of t5 tombstones. They'll be in lighting. UNPLUG THE FIXTURE FIRST. Then you just open the casing, pull the wires out of the t8 tombstones, and plug in the new ones. Push firmly til the wires catch.

The only problem with this is you want to make sure that they can handle High Output T5 bulbs such as reptile bulbs.

Poisonedbite

Bearded Dragon Egg
The only problem with this is you want to make sure that they can handle High Output T5 bulbs such as reptile bulbs.
Oh no, the parts don't change. Only difference is the size. Doesn't matter if it's 120v or 480v flowing in, the internal ballast will convert it down.