• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all- I am generally new to this forum, but not new to reptiles and bearded dragons. I’ve had my witblit leatherback male for just under 2 weeks now and I am just posting to check in that he’s eating enough. As of 10/21 he weighs 21 grams (when I got him he was 14 grams), and eats approximately 4-5 crickets or dubia roaches, twice a day. From my research I’ve learned that they’re supposed to be eating a lot more but my little one loses interest pretty quickly. He is very comfortable around me and will eat from tongs. Any input on this is much appreciated. One other question… I have been hesitant to feed too much kale however it seems like the only green he actually enjoys. I’ve gotten him to eat a small amount of dandelion greens and cilantro, but the kale is always the only to disappear from his bowl. I would love to know people’s thoughts on kale at this young age, and if it is necessarily a bad thing that he really likes it. Would it be better to feed him kale, or hope he eats enough of the other greens to make up for the 20%? Thank you all for reading :))

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all- I am generally new to this forum, but not new to reptiles and bearded dragons. I’ve had my witblit leatherback male for just under 2 weeks now and I am just posting to check in that he’s eating enough. As of 10/21 he weighs 21 grams (when I got him he was 14 grams), and eats approximately 4-5 crickets or dubia roaches, twice a day. From my research I’ve learned that they’re supposed to be eating a lot more but my little one loses interest pretty quickly. He is very comfortable around me and will eat from tongs. Any input on this is much appreciated. One other question… I have been hesitant to feed too much kale however it seems like the only green he actually enjoys. I’ve gotten him to eat a small amount of dandelion greens and cilantro, but the kale is always the only to disappear from his bowl. I would love to know people’s thoughts on kale at this young age, and if it is necessarily a bad thing that he really likes it. Would it be better to feed him kale, or hope he eats enough of the other greens to make up for the 20%? Thank you all for reading :))
Thats great he is eating kale it is very good for him let him eat as much as he wants -- it is better nutritionally than the collards -- :) hes gaining weight that is good - how big are the roaches your feeding ? They should be no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- if hes eating too big of a roach he wont eat many and they can cause impaction --- so please be aware of that --- make sure you are using a good UVB No coils please they are inadeqaute for UVB and a good bright white basking bulb no colored bulbs at all --- your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons please they are inaccurate --- if you need more help or have questions please ask - you want a long tube fixture for a UVB those have certain placement and distance for bulbs that you get

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes! I have all the lighting set up. I have a t5 10.0 uvb and a 150w spot lamp. The roaches are very small, 5/8 inch I believe. Thank you!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes! I have all the lighting set up. I have a t5 10.0 uvb and a 150w spot lamp. The roaches are very small, 5/8 inch I believe. Thank you!!
Ok good UVB where is it in the tank ? top of screen or inside ? placement and distance is crucial here

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok good UVB where is it in the tank ? top of screen or inside ? placement and distance is crucial here
I have it on top of the screen because I’ve read that the T5 can go above the screen. The tank for now is a 20 gal long.

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
I also have been meaning to ask how to get the basking spot hotter than 90°? I have a thermo gun and can only get it to 90. I know it should be 100+ so I don’t know what other bulb would work.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I also have been meaning to ask how to get the basking spot hotter than 90°? I have a thermo gun and can only get it to 90. I know it should be 100+ so I don’t know what other bulb would work.
What is the basking decor piece your using? Is it a hammock? If so the IR gun will not read off of a hammock -- I would use a digital probe thermometer to get the actual basking temp -- IR guns will not read off of certain materials like hammocks we can then go from there as far as basking bulbs you want a temp of 105-110 for a baby --- what kind of screen do you have ? fine mesh or wide hole type --

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
What is the basking decor piece your using? Is it a hammock? If so the IR gun will not read off of a hammock -- I would use a digital probe thermometer to get the actual basking temp -- IR guns will not read off of certain materials like hammocks we can then go from there as far as basking bulbs you want a temp of 105-110 for a baby --- what kind of screen do you have ? fine mesh or wide hole type --
I have a mesh screen lid. I have a basking rock and the temp gun is very accurate for the other things I use it for.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a mesh screen lid. I have a basking rock and the temp gun is very accurate for the other things I use it for.
Ok so the mesh screen is it a real thick screen it will block some of the heat- and the T 5 is a good one for a 40 + tank we usually recommend either a T 8 or a 5.0 bulb for a 20 gallon- I don't want you to over uvb him or not have him get enough because of the screen that is why I asking-- what wattage basking bulb please?

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so the mesh screen is it a real thick screen it will block some of the heat- and the T 5 is a good one for a 40 + tank we usually recommend either a T 8 or a 5.0 bulb for a 20 gallon- I don't want you to over uvb him or not have him get enough because of the screen that is why I asking-- what wattage basking bulb please?
I bought the bulb separately and it’s 10.0. The hood came with a 5.0 so I can switch it now. I think the mesh is pretty thin. I am keeping him in a 20 gal for a little longer and then he’ll be in a much larger enclosure of course!

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is 24 watts

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I bought the bulb separately and it’s 10.0. The hood came with a 5.0 so I can switch it now. I think the mesh is pretty thin. I am keeping him in a 20 gal for a little longer and then he’ll be in a much larger enclosure of course!
Ok so switch out the uvb bulb to the 5.0 take screen off or place the uvb hood width wise on the end of the tank butt the screen up to it you want the basking decor directly under the uvb 6-8 inches then get your basking bulb next to it on the screen - for a 20 gallon tank I used a 75 watt-

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so switch out the uvb bulb to the 5.0 take screen off or place the uvb hood width wise on the end of the tank butt the screen up to it you want the basking decor directly under the uvb 6-8 inches then get your basking bulb next to it on the screen - for a 20 gallon tank I used a 75 watt-
Yes, but somehow it’s still not hot enough for me? I’m using a 150w and it only gets to 90°

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
Some thing is off please post a pic of your tank and lighting
image.jpg

ameliapeyton

Bearded Dragon Egg
The 5.0 bulb needs to be unobstructed-- please take the uvb place width wise on the end of the tank take your screen butt it up to the fixture place the basking bulb next to it- have a piece of decor directly under the uvb 6-8 inches+- please do this ASAP--
Got it, thanks!!