• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 month old: all dubias and no crickets OK?

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
I have a baby beard ie (~2 months old). He has only eaten a few crickets, but he much prefers dubia roaches. He's at the point now where he won't eat crickets at all, but will eat the roaches when I put them in with him. Is a diet of only dubia and no crickets OK for his protein at this age?

tchapman1971

Bearded Dragon Egg
Io has been eating Dubias regularly since he was 2 weeks. I use black soldier fly larvae to give a little variety or when roaches didn't make it in time.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a baby beard ie (~2 months old). He has only eaten a few crickets, but he much prefers dubia roaches. He's at the point now where he won't eat crickets at all, but will eat the roaches when I put them in with him. Is a diet of only dubia and no crickets OK for his protein at this age?
Yes dubias are a better staple feeder than crickets --- are you also feeding salad? He needs to be started on salads now - you can get some BSFL order medium and add them to the tops of his salads every morning - it will lure him to the salad bowl and they are also a good hand tamer - www.symtonbsf.com - use as many as you want they are a good staple as well -- do not dust them only your dubias should be dusted w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene - here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
you will need a bowl like this to keep the BSFL in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d this bowl works good for the roaches as well --

Bluecrush93

Hatchling Dragon
Appreciate it, guys.

I've fed him a salad every morning since I've had him, but he's yet to touch it. Usually a mix of Kale and green peppers. I'll try to add some of the larva mentioned above to see if that interests him.

tchapman1971

Bearded Dragon Egg
Appreciate it, guys.

I've fed him a salad every morning since I've had him, but he's yet to touch it. Usually a mix of Kale and green peppers. I'll try to add some of the larva mentioned above to see if that interests him.
Io eats a little bit of greens daily. collard and mustard greens are the faves so far. squash is offered but he's not a big fan