• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weekend Enclosure

hilabeanz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We have a baby beardie who will be 3 months old over Labor Day weekend. We've been invited to the coast for the long weekend and will be gone 4 days. It is a 3-hour car ride. We want to take him with us because he's still a baby and we don't trust him in the care of anyone else at this point.

I'm thinking a 20 gallon breeder type tank may make for a doable portable vacation enclosure. It's an expensive option, but I know heating and lighting level are most important and I can pull the lights from his current 40 gallon breeder easily.

Are there any other suggestions for a portable long-weekend enclosure? Or ways to limit his stress while traveling?

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi - heat and food. of primary importance. try to limit exposure to too many new things. like - don't take him down to the beach. not too many new people. put something in the tank he knows. maybe wear a tshirt for a day (without perfume / deodorant etc) to get your smell on it - put that in his tank now AND take it with you. keep to a routine as much as possible. he's a young one - but, they are resilient.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Be very careful with a baby, they are very flighty and can get lost easily if handled too much.

Don't feed him before the trip since they need time to digest under their lights after they eat.