• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UK breeders, where do you buy your live food from?

bertie1606

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, just a quick question as to where is the best place to bulk buy live food for hatchlings? I knew it was going to cost a small fortune to feed them but wondered if anyone had any recommendations for quality but low cost crickets?
Thank you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Try bluelizardreptiles.co.uk

One of the UK people in my group recommended them for dubia awhile back.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sounds daft but, have you looked on Ebay? There are some good breeders on there, just check the reviews before you buy. You will save a lot of money compared to some Ive seen online, especially for dubias

bertie1606

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you, I'll take a look at that website and eBay. Approx how many dubia will hatchlings eat in a day?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Baby (up to 1cm) dubias are the most expensive, I buy 220 (about £24 inc delivery)at a time and my two will go through those in a week. It gets a bit more cost effective when your beardies are big enough to eat the next size up 1-2cm (220 for £20 inc delivery), they will last me 2 weeks, at least so far. Crickets are way cheaper, i just dont like them. Of course like most things, the more you buy the cheaper they get. The cheapest option though would be to start your own dubia colony.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dubia are also meatier than crickets so where you may go through 200 dubia a week for a baby, you would go through triple the amount of crickets. I remember buying 1000 crickets a week when mine were small! I really wish I would have used dubia.

bertie1606

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you all for your replies, as I have 20 eggs incubating I have just set up a colony of crickets to breed, if it works it will save me loads of money! I don't fancy breeding roaches so I'll probably just buy some every couple of weeks just to mix it up for them! It's a good job I've been saving to do this lol!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you all for your replies, as I have 20 eggs incubating I have just set up a colony of crickets to breed, if it works it will save me loads of money! I don't fancy breeding roaches so I'll probably just buy some every couple of weeks just to mix it up for them! It's a good job I've been saving to do this lol!
I hope you have better luck breeding crickets than I did...it was soo hit and miss sometimes the pinheads would survive, some would hatch and then wham total die off..They are very fragile and very sensitive to odors and temp changes just a FYI.. I ended up buying in bulk from armstrong crickets I had a rescued house wren so that is what she ate so for 5 years it's what I did..
Roaches omg WAY way easier and faster than than crickets.