• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Top vs front opening enclosures.

Rhysandfish

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is there a difference in a beardies personality depending on the enclosure? They are a prey animal and I feel like a bird swooping down and eating them. Is an exo-terra or zoo med front opening enclosure worth it anyways? I think theyre cool and cut effort in half but they are a bit pricey.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, I dont think there is a difference in personality, its more a matter of personal preference. While its true a beardie may feel less secure when exposed on all sides, this is an easy fix by simply covering the back and sides and offering them plenty of places to hide. I considered the exo terra, but compared to a wooden glass fronted viv they are small and overpriced (imo). Besides, i needed two vivs so I needed to be able to stack them, cant do that easily with a glass tank. Just get whatever suits the space you are going to put it in, they all work well enough.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Both of mine are top opening and for me it works because I have the space and I adjust the height of my basking lights. But there are times that I wish I had front opening for ease of cleaning..

Rhysandfish

Bearded Dragon Egg
Both of mine are top opening and for me it works because I have the space and I adjust the height of my basking lights. But there are times that I wish I had front opening for ease of cleaning..
This is another reason I want one lol.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I am also a shorty and prefer the doors. I have tried a top loading tank before and like Hdrydr31 said, it is a pain in removing the lights to open the tank. I had mine on a rack shelf and was able to attach the basking dome to the bottom of the shelf above but the UVB light still needed to be moved.