• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too much UV?

jager

Hatchling Dragon
I am wondering if it is possible my beardie is getting too much UV. I have a zoo med uv tube that sits on top of of a screen. It is around 20" from the floor of the tank. I also have a solar glo all in one basking bulb.
Is it too much UV having both the tube and the all in one bulb? What would the symptoms of too much UV be? Would it be better to get rid of the bulb and just use a halogen bulb for basking and the UV tube? He has in the last couple days been less active than normal but is still eating and going to the bathroom.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What style of UVB light do you have, is it a T5 or a T8? With a T8 over a screen your beardie needs to be able to get at least 6" from the light to get the benefit since the screen blocks out much of the rays. The T5 is more powerful so they don't need to be that close.

jager

Hatchling Dragon
Hi PatsyB, thanks for responding :) sorry it took a while for me to respond.
It is a reptisun 10.0 T5HO . It is not quite centered on the screen because of the basking light (dome fixture) so it sits a little toward the front.
I am a little concerned because I don't want to give him too much UV and of course not to little. It has still been months since he shed last so I thought perhaps that may have something to do with it? He looks healthy, he doesn't have a huge appetite but I think that's just him. I offer him fresh greens and worms daily, sometimes he eats, sometimes he doesn't bother for a day or two.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How old is he and how long is he? Both of mine hit a certain point where they stopped shedding for a long time. My girl didn't shed for like 6 months and now she sheds one little body part at a time, she's 2 1/2. My boy is 1 1/2 years and shed about 2 months ago and now he's shedding just his feet and a spot on his belly. Dexter (girl) is 18.5 inches and 500 grams and Luci(boy) is 17.5 inches and 487 grams.

jager

Hatchling Dragon
He just turned 10mths today :) and is 19" long. He hasn't grown for a little bit either. Thought maybe he had finished growing? Not sure how much he weighs. I will see if I can weigh him tomorrow.

I am considering changing his basking bulb for a bit and see how it goes. I have been thinking about it and since I purchased the solar glo bulb, he hasn't grown or shed. Up until we got that bulb we had been using his UV tube and a regular basking bulb. He was growing, shedding and seemed to have a slightly better appetite. He has never really been a big eater but his appetite has reduced some. I was worried about MBD, hence the reason I got the solar glo bulb since i wasnt sure if his uv tube was close enough and because he isn't a huge eater he wasn't consuming calcium daily.

Would it help if I posted a pic of his setup?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It sounds like you have your lights set up similar to mine only I don't use a solar glo. I have a T5 that goes the length of the tank in the back and I have a basking spot light just in front of it on one side.

When Dexter slowed down with the shedding I thought she had reached her max size. Then she started again. She usually sheds her toes and face now. This past few weeks it's been parts of her tail too. She's put on about a half inch.

jager

Hatchling Dragon
May I ask what your tank measurements are? Does yours sit on a screen?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have a 36x18x18 Exo-Terra tank. I have my lights resting on the mesh screen. I used to use the T8 bulbs and they were fine but I would notice when they needed to be changed. The dragons would get very lethargic and lazy. When I switched to the T5 bulbs the instantly perked up.

cody

Hatchling Dragon
I was also wondering this. Considering Iv had a T5 10 in a zoomed fixture with reflector laying across the top of tank, with no screen or anything blocking. It's running across the very front of the tank, not the middle because his basking spot is up front. Is that too much uvb if he's under it often, no screen, about 1 foot or so distance from the T5. I'll have to check that tho. Also recently his appetite seemingly more than doubled.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@cody make sure you offer places where he can get away from the UVB. Dexter started eating better too once I switched lights, she started walking around her tank more and she became more alert. It was like night and day!

jager

Hatchling Dragon
I read halogen bulbs are good for a basking spot. Is this correct? What wattage would I use?
Thank you for being so helpful PatsyB :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Halogen flood lamps can be used as a cheaper alternative to the name brand bulbs. I currently have one in Luci's tank and It think its 70 watts it works just fine.