• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange Behavior, not eating, plus weird poo?

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
So I went away for the weekend, and had a good friend of mine watch my Atlas.

About two days ago, he started acting strange. He wouldn't eat his bugs--superworms--and kept running over to the corner of his tank, where the basking light is. He would then claw at the carpet and side of the tank. Some of this included rubbing his head against the glass. Now, he did just finish shedding today, and over the weekend he was in the process of it.

I got home today, and he is still not eating--though it appears he ate his vegetables overnight. He is still doing the weird behavior despite being done shedding. I also noticed his poo looked very unusual. He has been having issues with not pooping regularly, so maybe this could be a sign as to why? I took a pic, which I posted below:

OdbLCRK.jpg

His housing consists of a 36x18x18 tank. He is seven months old, and confirmed male. I use reptile carpet for his tank lining, and he has a basking rock, hammock, hide away (on the cool side), and climbing log. I use Zoo Med T8 ReptiSun 10.0 UVB for his UV, and a 150 Watt bulb for his basking. I also give him Superworms, as he will no longer eat crickets for whatever reason. His veggies consist of Spinach, Kale, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, and Carrots. I also use a water bottle to mist his skin daily.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? What do you guys think is going on with him? :/

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow I've never seen a poop like that before wow... I would get a fecal sample and have him checked by a reptile vet.
On another note I would stop feeding spinach as it is high in vit A and is on the list of rarely to be fed item... if you take a look at the links below several of our comments you will find links on good food items and how often they should be fed.. Good staple greens are collards/mustard/turnip/dandelion greens.

It's interesting that he's eating at night they typically sleep thru the night. They need a min of 2 hours to warm and digest before lights out for the night.. Do you have any lights on at night? Did your friend mention anything strange with him while you were gone?

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
Wow I've never seen a poop like that before wow... I would get a fecal sample and have him checked by a reptile vet.
On another note I would stop feeding spinach as it is high in vit A and is on the list of rarely to be fed item... if you take a look at the links below several of our comments you will find links on good food items and how often they should be fed.. Good staple greens are collards/mustard/turnip/dandelion greens.

It's interesting that he's eating at night they typically sleep thru the night. They need a min of 2 hours to warm and digest before lights out for the night.. Do you have any lights on at night? Did your friend mention anything strange with him while you were gone?

I just saw the vet today. She believes his calcium level is low, as he is very low lying. So she gave me liquid calcium supplements to give him once a day. She also gave me a special omnivore diet to syringe feed him until he starts eating normally again.

I will stop giving him spinach, and will stick to his kale instead. It also turns out that the poop was just uragates (sp?). So I'm hoping these extra supplements will help him!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Looks like he's just passing urates. How many times does he go during the day and is he passing anything else dark in color?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Kale is okay to feed along with another healthy green like dandelion, mustard, or collards. Kale and soinachnwere always the big no's because they bind to calcium but kale has recently been found to be okay if mixed with something else healthy.

My boy will just push out just urates when he is over hydrated, like when he has too many hornworms.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks like he's just passing urates. How many times does he go during the day and is he passing anything else dark in color?
Ive never seen it this creamy in color and that much the same

Pikafuey

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys, I just wanted to update you on Atlas!

So, he is doing much better! The Vet gave me liquid calcium supplement to syringe feed him once a day for a month; since then he has been much better! His stool is 100% normal now, and his activity levels have been great. He is also eating normally again, and pretty much back to his regular self. Thank you all for your advice/help :)