• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starting & Caring For A Dubia Roach Colony

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I don't keep roaches... so I wouldn't know the first thing.

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
why not roaches are better than crickets no smell no jumping/flying, and no canabalism at least in this species how ever i do have some orange head roaches that im breeding that get a whole mice once a week because they love protein.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also they are not carnivorous unlike crickets. Most important, they won't infest your home in the US, with the exception of possibly Fl. where most roaches are illegal to sell to or have, due to state law and they thrive in tropical conditions.
Hi there, your dubia care sheet is quite extensive and really good. If i may offer a few suggestions. It is a myth that they cant infest your home, even here in the midwest or northern U.S. They are survivalist that can withstand a good range in temps, distances without food or water. All it takes is m/f and a decently warm spot (furnace, fridge, water heater, base board heaters, homes without a/c in the summer months, etc) in your home and tada you will have babies :) Naturally they are omnivorous like crickets. They will eat what is available whether it is meat or plant. Like most insects of the world they are designed to be "mother natures" clean up crew.

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
gillie while dubia are omnivores they do not nip the wings of their mates like orange head roaches and it would take alot of heat for them to infest my home i live in ohio so i highly doubt that they could infest my home or anybody else home if you don't live in a tropical area like florida or places were it is warm all year around like texas or california or so on.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi spikelee, dubia do nip wings of other males typically when the container they are in gets over crowded with males or when they have gone sometime without food or water.

Try this for an easy exercise. Take a couple pair of adults and put them in a tote with a few pieces of egg crate. Put this tote in the warmest room in your house and see if they breed. All of my dubia bins are in the warmest room in my house here in indiana. They do not have supplemented heat. Just room temperatures and they are breedng like crazy :) In this room i have nine totes with hissers, discoids, dubia, lobsters and horseshoe roaches. The internet is a great thing but there is also misleading information on it. Anyone can compose a website with just a little free time and the thing is we dont know for sure the authors true expertise on a subject. Explore what you read. You will find out.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All I can mention is about Discoids, they will cannibalize each other when hungry enough. My home is kept mid 70s+F, without added heat, the Discoids may breed but can't seem to incubate the eggs. Without added heat to the mid 80sF & up, all I find are egg sac casings in the frass, no nymphs.

I have had escapees, nymphs. But have rarely ever found them alive. The few that I have found, never make it to adults, generally find them on their backs dried up.

Just my experience over the years with my Discoids.

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i completely agree with you germ i keep mine in my basement and i have had a few get out to either find them dead, close to death, or they have climbed right back up on their totes up the infrared heat lamp waiting to be put pack with their colony

Jaker89

Hatchling Dragon
I am strongly considering doing this. Where should I order the first 100 from to start the colony?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I am strongly considering doing this. Where should I order the first 100 from to start the colony?
I would check your local Craigslist ads first to see if there is anyone in your area that has them for sale. That way you can save the shipping costs. If not the link at the top of this thread is also a breeder and seller of them that can probably fix you up or Google " Dubia Roaches For Sale". You can also try Ebay and look in the For Sale Section here on the Forum too.

They are very common and easy to find at reasonable prices:)

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
My vote is for Ebay I bought 100 extra large for $25 or $26 I can't remember and free shipping. You just have to pick out what you think is best. I bought less but they were one shed away from being adult so I didn't have to wait very long for them to grow and start having nymphs.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My vote is for Ebay I bought 100 extra large for $25 or $26 I can't remember and free shipping. You just have to pick out what you think is best. I bought less but they were one shed away from being adult so I didn't have to wait very long for them to grow and start having nymphs.
I got mine from a local guy that breeds snakes and tarantulas...found him on Craigslist and at the right time too as his colony was exploding in a major way. Got 1000 well mixed + 60 adult females + 20 adult males, 2lbs of roach chow, 4ounces of water crystals and a dozen new egg flats...$60 dollars + a 20 mile drive to get em and I also found in him a source for the Green Bottle Blue Tarantula I have been itching to get whenever I get ready:)

Jaker89

Hatchling Dragon
Not many people local to me deal with lizards that I know of. It seems most of the people do the fish scene.

Henry X Stella

Hatchling Dragon
We're getting 500 mixed +10% and some adult breeders off Craig's this week. Luckily someone local wants to thin down his colony. (cheep cheep) :) Planning on having a solid breeder/feeder set-up for the rest of our lives. Couldn't be more pleased with this care sheet posting. Actually led us to the forum. Many thanks.

ravenwolf

Juvenile Dragon
I have a really small colony, just 15 adults and around 30-60 young of various stages and that does me for the crested geckos, leopard geckos and the beardies get the occasional extra male i have going spare :) in order to keep the population down :)

BlueDevilDagron

Bearded Dragon Egg
Will roaches, in the long run, be a less expensive route than crickets? I am tired of driving to the chain pet stores and spending $7 for 50 large crickets. They don't last me a week because my beardy is a growing boy.