• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spot on BD back

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Ok So two weeks ago I went on a business trip and I took my BD to a Reptile shop for boarding. The owner noticed a spot on his back that looked like a blister. I thought he might be starting to shed. The owner removed the layer of skin and it was moist undernieth. I thought well since I gave him a bath the night before mayber some water got under it if he was shedding. Well I picked him up today and it is still there and more looks like a soar now. I dont know what it is. I am 99% sure it is not a burn blister as he is not in close prox to his heat lamp so I have no idea where he may have gotten it. It does not seem to bother him im just concerned.

a4de42b3.jpg

8cb783f6.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't know what to say, but it really sounds like the 'owner' peeled off a shed before it was ready to release, damaging the new skin, which would explain it being moist underneath & causing it to scab. :(

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Ok that makes since. I was kinda of upset when he did it but I am new to BD and I figured he knew what he was doing. One More question would you say Bowser is a Leather Back or just a Normal BD. The Reptile store owner said he was a leather back. I was not so sure I am pretty sure he is a normal BD.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He shouldn't have pulled off the skin... Like Germ said, that is probably what caused the discoloring. And your beardie doesn't look like a leatherback to me, they are smoother. Keep an eye on that spot though.....

I would also find a new person to board my beardie also ;)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have a leatherback, and that is definitely not one. The skin on the back would be mostly smooth. Poor thing! Keep an eye out for an infection, hopefully no permanent damage was done. Stupid pet store owner. Don't let anyone pull up a shed on him again before it is time!

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Well the spot has gotten bigger on his back. I also noticed his right rear leg looks the same. It's rough looking. He did shed part of his leg and his tail. I have noticed foe the last few days he has not been eating as much. He does not touch his crickets. He will take water from me though. But he just lays on his rock and ignores the crickets. I'm getting worried because he is not eating. One more thing his attitude seems normal he is not lathergic he just does not eat.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Dragons tend to get touchy about eating sometimes. If he isnt dropping weight or being extremely lethargic I wouldnt stress too much over it. Theyre pretty hardy critters. If youre really worried about it though I would suggest a herp vet visit in a few days.

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Ok it looks like his head is about to shed. This is my first shedding experience. He did eat good today. I was kinda thinking it could be a burn as well. But there is no way he could get burned with the set up I have. Unless the pet store who watched him had the lights to close. How would you treat a burn.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Regular Neosporin or Polysporin. You mentioned that the spot was there prior to taking it to board at the Pet Store though.

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
Well the beginning of the story I did not tell. I went on a trip prior to this trip and I took him to the store I bought him at for boarding when I got back I picked him up and he ate so many crickets it seems they did not feed him so I decided on my next trip I would find somewhere else to board him. I hope that makes since.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Were the trips close enough together that it could possibly have gotten burned at the 1st Boarding place, the store that you bought it from, for it to appear just before going to the second where they peeled the skin off?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hopefully all will heal well, you will have to be watchful at shed time, sometimes scar tissue is more difficult to shed. Frequent warm soaks will help this along some if it does become a problem. Open area like the back generally doesn't pose a huge issue, something like the feet & toes can be more problematic.

Good Luck to you & yours