• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sharp beardies? :O

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi guys! I was just wondering if it's a common thing to have dragons with really rough skin and sharp spikes. Loki's very thorny, and if i hold him the wrong way I get poked painfully. Once one of the spines along the side of his belly actually pierced my skin. :eek:

I know that there are lots of morphs that specialize in making the scales and spikes less prominent, like silkbacks, leatherbacks, etc... But how common is it for them to be really, really pointy? Haha. And what do your dragons "feel" like?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've been poked too. It did hurt a little. It's just a certain way I grab Charlie that his spikes actually poke me and hurt.

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Tessie has some really sharp ones and Boogies are OK. When I pet their backs I use one of their blanket because their skin is rough and my fingers do not pet smoothly without it. Of course their heads and tails are easier to pet.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Gem has sharps, Orion somewhat... Annebelle too... Yardley (sunfire X) doesn't really have sharp enough to poke us...
Hope this helps.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Piggy pokes me a lot. It hurts a lot and stings for about 30 minuets after it happens. He has drawn blood before with her spikes.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogies spikes arent a lot, but really sharp. If I dont "grab" her correctly they pierce the skin and it hurts. Shell just sit there when I jerk away with a "What did I do" expression LOL

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It really is painful when they poke you, haha. And I feel bad when I recoil, because I know Loki doesn't mean it... He's like the most affectionate reptile ever, and sometimes he just walks up to my hand, crawls up my arm to my shoulder, puffs out a bit and pokes my earlobe or something. Then I jump and he falls down.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Mine's really, really sharp. He has drawn blood from me twice from his spikes. Both times from me catching him as he jump off something.