• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sex of beardie

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
Trying to determine my beardies sex, some say its a boy, some say its a girl, we tried the techniques of how to tell the sex and nothing was solved, we went to petco and they said there store sells only males, so we feel its a boy, feel free to comment.

Attachments

• 20170623_194300.jpg
    20170623_194300.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72

VeraR13

Hatchling Dragon
Trying to determine my beardies sex, some say its a boy, some say its a girl, we tried the techniques of how to tell the sex and nothing was solved, we went to petco and they said there store sells only males, so we feel its a boy, feel free to comment.
Hard to tell from the picture, but is that two bumps at base of tail? Of so, it is a boy.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Go into a dark room and put him in that same position and shine a light thru the tail from top thru to bottom you should either see the 2 hemipenes for boy or a single bump in the middle for girl

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
We've done that and don't see anything. I tried to get a pic of it but I need another hand so I'll see if I can later. Even the vet wasn't able to tell but he could have been too young, he was around 8 months at the time. He's around 16 month's now so definitely old enough that we should see something.

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
Best pic i can get to tell sex, he was trying to run away.

Attachments

• 20170624_122031.jpg
    20170624_122031.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Really, cause store i got from gets males , thanks again
Yep I don't see any hemepenes in there just a dark spot at the base which would be female.. I think they were giving you a line of bs to be honest as most of them get them super young sometimes too young and it would be hard to tell if they are male or female at such young ages.. I have a female and a male both I got from petco, patsy another mod here has 2 females and a male also from 1 of these stores.. so I think they just don't have a clue and give a line of bs to most. sadly

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Really, cause store i got from gets males , thanks again

Let me tell you a story. I went to Petco a few years ago and they kept talking about "Paco". I asked who Paco was and they said he was a bearded dragon that was abandoned in an apartment and the landlord found it and brought it to Petco. First thing I did was lift the tail to find out that "Paco" was a girl. The Petco worker was amazed and asked me how I knew that, I had to explain to him how to sex a dragon. Nobody had any clue how to do it!

Now "Paco" is a beautiful dragon named Dolly and she is sitting in my other room :)

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you everyone for your replies, so now we know stubbs is a girl, nxt question is can stubbs be a girls name cause shes was missin some toes when i got her, thnx

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thank you everyone for your replies, so now we know stubbs is a girl, nxt question is can stubbs be a girls name cause shes was missin some toes when i got her, thnx

Stubbs sure can be a girls name. This is coming from a lady that has a girl named Dexter and a boy named Luci :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think Stubbs is a cute name for her!