• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Safe feeder worm for 3 month old beardie

Stephanie Pettit

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is there a feeder worm that we can safely feed our 3 month-old-beardie? I bought Blu about a month ago as a birthday gift for my 11-year-old son. He had been asking for one for a couple of years and after months of research I finally decided that Nolan was mature enough and we could handle a beardie's needs so I got him one. Blu has been doing great since we got him. He went several days without pooping after I brought him home...which made me a nervous wreck...but that has resolved and he is growing like a weed. He eats between 12 and 20 small crickets a day, divided into two feedings at 7:30am and 6:00pm. He nibbles at his salad but that is about it.

Nolan loves Blu...I almost have to force him to put Blu back in his tank, he wants to carry Blu around with him all day. I worry that one day I will come home and find that Nolan took Blu to school in his pocket :) JK. And despite what people say about a beardie's ability to form bonds, I am sure that Blu loves Nolan too. They snuggle every night at bed time. I take Blu out of his tank and put him at the foot of Nolan's bed...Blu runs straight to Nolan and climbs right up on him.

So, back to my question...I leave for work at 4:00am so Nolan handles Blu's morning feeding by himself. While he is very responsible, the crickets are rather hard for him to handle by himself. He usually lets as many lose in his room as Blu eats :) Is there a good feeder worm that we could use for one feeding per day to make it easier for Nolan to feed him in the morning? We would still feed him crickets in the evening.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and welcome to beardies!! They are amazing creatures..
Glad to hear that he is growing up a storm that's great news. That is soo sweet that Nolan wants to spend that much time with Blu your going to have a very well behaved dragon. Crickets are tough for sure (raised them for 5 years) I now raise Dubia roaches way easier all the way around and more nutritious... As far as worms are concerned you could do smaller superworms (likely not the full sized) but actually smaller superworms (not mealworms) you could also do BSFL (phoenix worms aka Black Solider Fly Larva) these are great for calcium..

Below several of our comments you will find links we made them for new comers and also for refreshers it covers all area of their care.