• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ruby, our new little gem :)

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
On our way back from the vet's office now. To be safe, we ran a swab kit for CANV, and we should have results by Monday. The results of that test, will determine how we go about testing/treating other issues she may have. There isn't much we can do for the eye discharge, with the upper lid being missing. If she comes back negative for CANV, we'll check for other signs of infection which may be present. If she has an underlying infection, the medication may help to reduce the amount of discharge, though it's unlikely to stop completely.

He wants to clear her for CANV first and foremost. Some reptiles, especially our beardies, can carry CANV and test positive without ever displaying symptoms. It only becomes an issue in babies and immunicompromised dragons, which I was unaware of. If caught early, it's actually treatable, which was news to me as well. It becomes more problematic when spores are inhaled and become systemic internally; this is more common in iguanas than beardies. Even if she tests positive, her prognosis is good, though we think it's more likely that the skin abnormalities were caused by her previous tank mate over a year ago.

Another thing I was made aware of that I wanted to share with everyone: any vet can see exotics if they want to, but owners should be very cautious. Some vets give reptiles medication according to mammalian dosages, because that's what they are most familiar with, which can result in serious injury, internal organ damage, and death. When you look for a good reptile vet, look for a board certified reptile vet, or a vet in the process of getting their board certification.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's a good tip! The vet that I took Dexter and Dolly to, is board certified but she mostly treats cats and dogs. I have a vet literally next door to my house that says they treat exotics but there is no proof of board certification so I don't use them.

Ruby does seem like she is going to be in the clear. I really hope so, she is so sweet.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruby is doing well. Eating like a little pig. Her weight at the vet appt was 333 grams. She's a healthy gal :) She did test positive for low levels of pinworm, which is pretty common, no treatment required. I'm eager to get the results back from her CANV test. I'm hoping for negative results so we can work with her more and follow standard quarantine guidelines. Monday seems so far away.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
How is Ruby doing? She is a cutie pa tutie!
She's doing good. She's a happy go lucky girl. I'm stressing more about her condition than she is, it seems. We're just playing the waiting game until Monday. This weekend if we get lucky, but I'm not holding my breath.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruby's test results came back today. She tested positive for CANV. The vet says we should be able to knock it out. She'll be on voriconazole for up to 6 weeks. Treatment could last up to 4 weeks, and she'll stay on meds for at least 2 weeks once she's clear. She also needs blood tests every 2 weeks to make sure she's handling the medication alright. Once she's in the clear for CANV, if she seems to be doing well, we won't have to have her scoped internally to see if she has CANV internally. It's more common for iguanas to get internally yellow fungus, where as beardies usually have external fungus.

Treatment will be anywhere from 400 to 600 dollars. If she needs scoped to check her internal organs, it's another 400 to 600 dollars. We'll also have to get a UV-C air cleaner to purify the air in the room that she's been in, she'll be moved to an isolated area, and the tank and decor will be cleaned with either diluted bleach or chlorhexidine solution. We pick up her meds on Monday to get this show on the road. Fingers crossed that we can knock this out quickly and that it's only external. If it's spread to her organs, she doesn't stand much if a chance.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We go to the vet for oral voriconazole and miconazole lotion. I'll also be getting a baseline blood test for Ruby's liver function. The voriconazole is the safest for treating CANV, but still poses a risk to her liver. After 2 weeks she goes back for another blood test to see how's she's reacting to the meds. The doc and I talked a good bit today and he seems hopeful. He's told me multiple times not to worry, so I'm doing my best to think happy thoughts. I'll keep everyone posted!

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Wow. Poor baby. And poor you! Sending good thoughts your way.

What does this mean long term for the other critters? Even when she is clear will she have to be quarantined the rest of her life?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow. Poor baby. And poor you! Sending good thoughts your way.

What does this mean long term for the other critters? Even when she is clear will she have to be quarantined the rest of her life?
Once she tests negative for CANV, we should be in the clear. With the treatment, we should be able to eradicate the fungus completely and give her a happy and long future.

I'll be keeping an eye on the others to make sure no spores were passed around through the air. I will be putting a UV-C air purification system in the room which should get any contaminants out of the air.

According to more recent research, many bearded dragons carry CANV on their skin, but are completely asymptomatic. There appear to be some sub species of the fungus that aren't pathogenic. It's possible that the stress she was in previously compromised her immune system and made her susceptible to the fungus, which acted as an opportunistic pathogen. With all of the new research and treatment options, her prognosis is pretty good. Treatments used to cost $1000+ dollars a month. Now I can treat her for $600 to $1200(more if internal biopsies need done), depending on the severity and the spread. Yellow fungus is no longer a death sentence :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Man, not the news we wanted but sounds like you got this under control. She's in good hands with you and I know that you are going to do your best to keep the others safe.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We've introduced no sanitation procedures. The ease in which a serious pathogen entered our rescue opened my eyes to how lax things were. All of the beardies have their own color coded eye droppers, water bottles, bathing containers and feeding tongs. Tongs are also separated by color for the different species of snakes we have, and all utensils are soaked in 10% bleach solution between use. UV-C air purifiers are being added to the room to clean the air and reduce the potential of transmitted airborne pathogens. We can't afford a slip up that could jeopardize anyone.

We move into a larger house next month, and I should be able to set up a quarantine room for new additions and seriously ill animals. I'm pretty excited to have more space :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We've introduced no sanitation procedures. The ease in which a serious pathogen entered our rescue opened my eyes to how lax things were. All of the beardies have their own color coded eye droppers, water bottles, bathing containers and feeding tongs. Tongs are also separated by color for the different species of snakes we have, and all utensils are soaked in 10% bleach solution between use. UV-C air purifiers are being added to the room to clean the air and reduce the potential of transmitted airborne pathogens. We can't afford a slip up that could jeopardize anyone.

We move into a larger house next month, and I should be able to set up a quarantine room for new additions and seriously ill animals. I'm pretty excited to have more space :)

Wow I am sad to hear that she tested positive BUT soo very glad she has you in her corner providing her the TLC she needs and the medical care needed to zap the crud!!
It is soo easy to be "lazy" in sanitation between things just soo easy to let your guard down. I know with just my 2 I admit I'm not so good.. They do however have their own designated bowls, towels, toothbrushes, blankets and sink gets disinfected before between and after each. When I added Simon to our pack he was in a separate room under quarantine for a month+ once he was all clear I still am careful and mindful with them and if 1 were to not "be" ok my practices would go back in place. I am also very aware if I take them anywhere like the pet store I protect them from anything.

Hang in there and I am keeping her in my prayers that this goes smoothly, sounds like you have things under control. I'm excited for you all on your soon to be new bigger home!! How wonderful will that be!!! For us we have a spare room/plant room and that's where they get to free run, then we have a utility room :) cat boxes/cat food/water gut loaded supers/dubia dragon supplements/supplies AND that's also my craft area where I make cards lol. Then we have our bedroom. Basement I have a small room that has my dubia colony.. So I get it space is nice to have and since you will be taking in critters to care for having a quarantine room is needed.
Look forward to pics

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruby had her baseline blood work run and we picked up her meds. Her blood work came back great, the vet said he rarely gets a chance to see such good results. Everything was normal except her calcium: phosphorous ratio, which I suspected. Her calcium is a bit high, so we'll be cutting that back a bit, and by the time she gets her next blood test, she should be levelled out. We'll be going back in two weeks to see if the meds are effecting her liver function, and in another two weeks we'll rerun the blood work and sent another sample out to test for CANV. Everything looks good so far! Results indicate that the infection is strictly external and hasn't spread internally. I couldn't be happier!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruby is doing well. She's the most I cooperative dragon when it comes to taking her meds, but she let's me put the external miconazole on her without much of a fuss. The meds don't seem to be affecting her appetite whatsoever and she's still happy and active, happy until it's time for medicine anyway. It's okay, only 5 or more weeks to go...[emoji28] Oddly enough, since starting the meds, the discharge from her eye has been reduced. I'm not sure if the meds are the cause, but there's a pretty strong correlation. I was worried about an RI as well, but symptoms have ceased. She's doing incredibly well.

This is the look of defiance.
ec319557530ba590f81fdd5c639cfd39.jpg

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I need to post an updated photo of her bad eye. The medication seems to have cut back on the discharge and cleared it up a bit. The pupil is reactive, though she doesn't respond to visual stimuli from that eye.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruby went in for her 2 week follow up blood test. Her calcium to phosphorous ratio has levelled out, and her liver function is perfect. Her patches of CANV seem to be clearing up and she even put on weight: 350 grams total now.

Her eye looks better every day! Still some minor discharge, but nothing like before.
6c05947506a4e12ab21899c78d805739.jpg

2a1a6e238ee5e225a050708551a90e25.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh wow she is looking way better!!! That is wonderful news that things are leveled off and seem to be doing better!! Way to go on getting her prompt care!! I can't believe this is the same dragon!! wow!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey everyone, I'm sorry I've been away for some time now. I thought now would be a great time to hop back on and share the good news. Ruby is now CANV free :) Her energy is up and her appetite has doubled. This little gal is doing great, and loving cuddle time, especially since medication is no longer involved.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everyone, I'm sorry I've been away for some time now. I thought now would be a great time to hop back on and share the good news. Ruby is now CANV free :) Her energy is up and her appetite has doubled. This little gal is doing great, and loving cuddle time, especially since medication is no longer involved.

That is wonderful news!!

Latest posts