• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ruby, our new little gem :)

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So, we'll be adding a new member to our darling family. A young gal named Ruby. She's an adult that needs a good home since her mama is moving away and can't bring her with. Ruby came from a pet store where she was foolishly housed with a male. In an effort to mate with her, the male bit her and damaged her left eye. She has some issues with discharge from the eye, but hopefully a vet visit and medicated eye drops will clear it up for her. She's an otherwise healthy and beautiful dragon. We plan to pick her up this Friday and welcome her home. These are a few photos of the sweetie. I can't wait to meet her :)

77a31832cc198a1f38f4e7dfc39e0430.jpg

f6e054be694f1b04883050685b2ef66f.jpg

2a2a53bf7f879dfc53e1fcc5b3d45a14.jpg

This is her bad eye.
1f9a21efbc1753a1127a35c4ef472213.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awe poor thing! Glad she will be getting a good home with you and the care she needs. When healthy she's got some great colors!!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Awe poor thing! Glad she will be getting a good home with you and the care she needs. When healthy she's got some great colors!!
I can't wait for summer so she can soak up some natural sun. Her colors are going to be absolutely stunning :) I can't wait for Friday.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruby came home with us Friday night. She's such a gentle little sweetheart. She's got quite a bit of stuck shed here and there, some discharge from her bad eye, and signs of what could potentially be a respiratory infection. She eats well, loves the dubia and red runner roaches, and munches on greens. I'll be giving her a bath to help work off some of the retained shed. She has a lot of scars, which is where I've noticed most of the stuck shed, which makes sense. We'll be taking her in to see the vet this Thursday at 5pm. Hopefully we can get medicated drops for her eye, maybe medication to kick any infection she might have, and have him give her a good look over to make sure I'm not overlooking any issues. I'd like to bring a stool sample in, with any luck she'll give me a nice bowel movement by then. I'm looking forward to the day she gets a clean bill of health. Despite her issues, she's the sweetest dragon you'll ever meet.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Today, I'm absolutely filled with dread. I haven't handled Ruby a lot, allowing her to adjust to her new surroundings. The other night, I gave her a bath to try and help loosen up some of the stuck shed. Upon closer inspection, the stuck patch on her lower jaw and beard is yellow and rough, a sharp contrast from the rest of her. Now I'm worried about the possibility of yellow fungus, more than worried, I'm terrified. Ruby is the sweetest dragon, but if she's CANV positive, she would put every animal in our rescue at risk. I'm absolutely devastated. I'm hoping with everything that I have, that the discoloration and roughness is from a benign bacterial or fungal infection. It's on the same side as her bad eye, so perhaps it's drainage from the infection, or a spread of a harmless and treatable infection, she's had this issue for a year now without treatment from the previous owners. I'll try to get a photo, I went into a sterilization frenzy after the discovery and taking a photo completely slipped my mind.

I guess what I'm asking, is what should I do, or what would you do, if she is CANV positive? Keep her, placing all other reptiles at risk? A CANV positive dragon can't be rehomed. If the vet isn't willing to take her in, I don't think my heart could handle the alternative. This poor girl doesn't deserve all of this. Please send positive thoughts/prayers Ruby's way. I'll post an update as soon as we leave the vet's.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Unfortunately we didn't even make it to the vet appt. Half way there we ran into heavy traffic and wound up 30 minutes behind schedule. I called into the office and had to be rescheduled for 6pm on Tuesday. Hardcore quarantine measures remain in place, and I have more sleepless nights in my future. We're still hoping for good news, or relatively good bad news. I even had a fresh stool sample ready haha. I hope she feels like leaving a present for me on Tuesday!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sigh I'm sorry Eavlynn I will keep her in my prayers that it's just discharge from her eye wound..Glad to hear you are in a quarantine "lock down" make sure your not sharing the feeders that she may not eat..if she has come in contact with any of them or her environment, make sure those feeders remain only for her.
Hang in there keep us posted

Mom2Dovakiin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Prayers with you and Ruby. I am really hoping it's just the eye causing this.
As to what I would do, I honestly would keep her quarantined and put strict handling rules with everyone in the house, and just try to keep her comfortable. I don't think I would trust anyone else to make sure she's as happy as she could be and taken care of.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Well Crap! Keep us updated for sure. Do you have a picture of the coloring? What about her vent area? CANV usually shows around the vent area.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well Crap! Keep us updated for sure. Do you have a picture of the coloring? What about her vent area? CANV usually shows around the vent area.
Ruby seems to be doing good, all things considered. The discoloration is on her face only, as soon as I saw it I checked her vent, and she looks completely normal. I snapped some photos. A big part of me wonders if it's accumulated discharge from her eye. I was able to peel some off, though the underlying scales are a bit soft and still discolored. With CANV, once the fungus sets in, it doesn't peel off. It causes ulceration and necrosis, and the skin itself usually comes off. So I'm holding on to hope that it's eye/infection related, but still keeping her quarantine in effect until the vet visit and CANV PCR results come in. The previous owners seemed to care about her, without really caring for her, if that makes sense. But here are some photos:

6fb3f46d1585a7f19298369fb90c1dc1.jpg

562801f038b46bfbee6bfed6fa4367cf.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I bet you're right, it's probably discharge from her eye, it doesn't really look like CANV pictures that I have seen. Are you washing her eye with some sterile saline until the vet visit? That might help a bit and just keep it clean. She looks so much better in these pictures than the first ones. Whatever you are doing, keep up the good work!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The more I look, the more I doubt CANV. I don't care what all she has going on, as long as she doesn't have CANV, we can tackle anything and do whatever it takes to get her healthy. It really doesn't present like yellow fungus, so fingers crossed that all she needs is some good medication, eye drops and lots of love. I've been pretty hands off with her given the possibility of CANV, just wiping goop out if her eye periodically. I don't have any saline, but I wash her eye out with distilled water after I get the discharge out. Her vet appointment Tuesday can't come soon enough.

If we get a favorable test result, and I'm thinking we will, she's in for a lot of cuddle time. She's such a good girl, she eats all of her roaches and veggies, and just wants to be held. I feel awful, not being able to handle her and give her attention.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I remember there was a dragon at Petco last summer and it was in a tank by itself and there was a note saying it was under observation by the vet. It was obvious that it was CANV. A month later it was in the front of the store for adoption with a note saying that it had a medical problem that was recently treated and cleared. It looked like the sweetest dragon and the lady asked me if I wanted to hold it and immediately I was like "NO!" I was terrified what I would bring home to mine. I felt so horrible later thinking that this dragon may never learn the love from a person and I almost wanted to go back and love it and then go home and take a shower right away. I still think about that poor baby.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That poor baby. If I had a dedicated quarantine room, I wouldn't worry so much about CANV or ADV positive animals. I don't mind taking care of terminal animals, but where I'm at now, highly contagious diseases would put everyone at risk. We move next month and I'll definitely be looking to see if I can set up a QT room.

There was little you could do for that little baby, and the prognosis isn't a bright one. I know that doesn't make you feel any better, it certainly doesn't seem fair. Most people aren't equipped to deal with terminal and contagious animals, especially with healthy animals at home. It takes a lot of work, over the top sterilization and precautions, and the ability to accept that the time will inevitably come when you have to put certain animals down when their disease progesses so far. That would be heart wrenching.

I'm hopeful that Ruby's tale will have a much happier ending. The discoloration of her scales shook me up, but nothing else lines up with CANV. It's early, but I have a growing hope for her. She has a nasty eye infection, and potential upper respiratory infection at best, but we should be able to take care of those in short time.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
To lighten things up, I've got some cute photos of my darling Ruby :)

c13f2591dccaac6a20e1d00ebcaba4f2.jpg

b7cf35235cf8659d902f848c7aa47f1d.jpg

Shes looks like she just won a battle haha, I suppose she did have a victory over her salad :)
a169eccba14eb9b42ccc646f4f5bf10d.jpg

This was the first night Ruby was with us. She'd had a very long and exhausting evening, and retreated to her cave as soon as we introduced her to her new home. Such a sweetheart.
a68ec534f7ca834177c46da07ffca43e.jpg

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm almost certain that Ruby is in the clear. After feeding everyone, I spent some time working with her. We managed to get her shed off, and I'm quite pleased with the look of her scales :) she goes to the vet tomorrow to get her eye checked out, check for an RI, and get a fecal run. Some 9f her scales are messed up, though I suspect her previous tank mate and the length of time that the shed was stuck had much to do with it. The skin was very yellow, so I'll be taking it in with me to see what the vet thinks may have caused the coloration. Our little gem should be just fine in the long run.

04b6a3419cd93314b8b835f8ddfb2073.jpg

6f4b12b1b19374df842c8ee70386fb3d.jpg

360d90a79988e17cd60b704dc4d56ee5.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow she is looking way better!!! what a strong girl!! what a difference some TLC will do!! Great job!