• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rescued bearded dragon needs help

Cajunsweetness3

Bearded Dragon Egg
My son rescued a bearded dragon and now mom has to help it and unsure of the best treatment to take. The story is the previous owner didn't feed her for 3 weeks and had no lighting for her. She cant walk and feels rubbery with jelly like extremities. We took her with us to petsmart to get what she needed food wise and the worker told us she has MBD and showed us which light to get and crickets yada yada as well as calcium powder to dip crickets in and to only feed 4 slowly to her also to syringe water and baths for hydration.he said she needs a vet as well and needs calcium injections because of the severity. Every vet i called either doesnt see reptiles or doesn't have injectible calcium.so my question is do i continue to push powder crickets and syringed water till she is stronger or do i really need to get her to a vet.or can i give liquid calcium or make the powdered one into liquid and syringe it .

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sounds to me like she really needs to see a vet. poor little one. where do you live? there may be some members who live near you who can recommend someone. bathing WILL NOT provide hydration. if you can get her into a vet to be seen - even if that vet does not have injectable calcium - I would start there. gotta tell ya - please take big box pet store recommendations with a grain of salt. although there may be employees who know their stuff - the odds are against it. how old is this little one? THANK YOU for taking her on !!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You really need to find a vet. If the MBD is as bad as it sounds, she's gone way longer than 3 weeks without light or heat. The reason they told you to feed only 4 crickets at a time is proteins are very hard for the body to digest. In her weakened state it's going to take too much energy and can damage her liver and kidneys.

You can make a slurry with some healthy greens and some plain coconut water and you can add calcium and multivitamins and bee pollen to. I like to mix it in a nutrabullet but you can use a blender or anything to make it liquid. Feed it slowly in a syringe. Another great thing to use is Pangea crested gecko diet with bugs in it, it's like a critical care type of food that you can feed in a syringe, it has lots of vitamins and food stuff in it.

Cajunsweetness3

Bearded Dragon Egg
sounds to me like she really needs to see a vet. poor little one. where do you live? there may be some members who live near you who can recommend someone. bathing WILL NOT provide hydration. if you can get her into a vet to be seen - even if that vet does not have injectable calcium - I would start there. gotta tell ya - please take big box pet store recommendations with a grain of salt. although there may be employees who know their stuff - the odds are against it. how old is this little one? THANK YOU for taking her on !!

We are unsure of her age and we are planning to find a vet and take her in .i have spoke to several vets and am currently following all their advice to try to save her. This is a picture of her from yesterday which is alot better from the day we rescued her thanks

Attachments

• 20170718_203137_001.jpg
    20170718_203137_001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65

Cajunsweetness3

Bearded Dragon Egg
We are unsure of her age and we are planning to find a vet and take her in .i have spoke to several vets and am currently following all their advice to try to save her. This is a picture of her from yesterday which is alot better from the day we rescued her thanks
I live in Louisiana

Cajunsweetness3

Bearded Dragon Egg
You really need to find a vet. If the MBD is as bad as it sounds, she's gone way longer than 3 weeks without light or heat. The reason they told you to feed only 4 crickets at a time is proteins are very hard for the body to digest. In her weakened state it's going to take too much energy and can damage her liver and kidneys.

You can make a slurry with some healthy greens and some plain coconut water and you can add calcium and multivitamins and bee pollen to. I like to mix it in a nutrabullet but you can use a blender or anything to make it liquid. Feed it slowly in a syringe. Another great thing to use is Pangea crested gecko diet with bugs in it, it's like a critical care type of food that you can feed in a syringe, it has lots of vitamins and food stuff in it.
Thanks will definitely try these idea

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Poor thing. She really doesn't look too bad from the picture. Her fat pads are sunken in but her tail looks kinda thick. I think you just get her hydrated and some good food in her and some good lights and she's going to perk up in no time.

Cajunsweetness3

Bearded Dragon Egg
Poor thing. She really doesn't look too bad from the picture. Her fat pads are sunken in but her tail looks kinda thick. I think you just get her hydrated and some good food in her and some good lights and she's going to perk up in no time.

She is definitely better than before i am hoping she perks up more poor thing tries to walk but her stomach stays flat on table arms and feet move but she doesnt ita heartbreaking she tries so hard

Cajunsweetness3

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just a little update we took him yes a him as we found out at vet lol vet stated he believes its an environmental issue due to improper lighting and heat and lack of nutrition and he didnt feel he needed calcium injections at this time but stated once he gets eating well and all that he will perk up and perhaps start walking again.i am going to give it another week then seek a second opinion if he is not walking .he has eaten 4 calcium dipped crickets the last 4 days and last night he ate 2 crickets, a superworm ,a few spinach leaves and a smoothie with spinach cucumber calcium and a few superworms so i was super excited and i snapped a picture lol he is definitely a trooper.

Attachments

• 20170720_225338.jpg
    20170720_225338.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just an FYI, spinach binds to calcium so it doesn't allow their body to absorb it.

Glad to hear it's something that is going to be an easy fix. He looks like a real sweetie!

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
So glad you took her in!!!! Once she gets to feeling better she will bond with you, and you will be in love. Sounds like you are making good progress

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
Where did you find a reptile vet in Louisiana? I'm having trouble locating one that isn't more than 2 hours away...