• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recommendations on places to buy dubias

Old guy new Dragon

Hatchling Dragon
I want to get some before I purchase a dragon but have been overwhelmed by the amount of places that sell them. Also what size do I need to get for a baby or one 2-4 months old.I passed on 2 today because I want all my stuff ready first. I'am not getting 2 I was looking at them, had to use ALL of my restraint to keep from getting one of them.LOL

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've had good experiences with Southtexasdragons.com, discountdubia.com
a member here sixofwandstatoo (not sure if he still is selling) got my colony up and running and when I am overloaded I also will sell off some but I have just recently sold off what I needed to except for having a bunch of adults...

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My dubias come in small(up to 1cm), medium(1-2cm), large(2-3) ,sub adults and adults. A baby dragon will need the smallest ones but by 3-4 months they will be onto the medium size. You can judge what size is needed by getting ones no larger than the space between their eyes

Old guy new Dragon

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for the info on the roaches and size. I ordered some from Topflight Dubias They were very reasonable I think, I ordered 500 1/4 to 3/8 in. size they cost just under $25 including shipping. Hopefully not too small for a baby dragon, they may grow some by the time I get one. Should have the roaches by next week I think.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
that is a very good price. yeah,less than I was paying for 300, keep them warm and fed and they will grow for sure. Theres no such thing as too small, just too big , just means your dragon will eat more. Next time you order get the next size up, delivery is next day on livefoods over here as less time in the post the better, many wont post after thursday to avoid them getting stuck in the system over the weekend.

Old guy new Dragon

Hatchling Dragon
that is a very good price. yeah,less than I was paying for 300, keep them warm and fed and they will grow for sure. Theres no such thing as too small, just too big , just means your dragon will eat more. Next time you order get the next size up, delivery is next day on livefoods over here as less time in the post the better, many wont post after thursday to avoid them getting stuck in the system over the weekend.

They only ship on Mon. and Tues. I think it will only take a day but am figuring three just because its the mail. LOL

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm late to the party as usual. I like dubiaroaches.com but I know that some people have had problems with them. I think they are also close to you so shipping should be fast.

I always try to find a company that is in a neighboring state from me. Although, I just ordered some wax worms and butter worms from Rainbow meal worms and they are in CA and they came and they were perfect.

Old guy new Dragon

Hatchling Dragon
I'm late to the party as usual. I like dubiaroaches.com but I know that some people have had problems with them. I think they are also close to you so shipping should be fast.

I always try to find a company that is in a neighboring state from me. Although, I just ordered some wax worms and butter worms from Rainbow meal worms and they are in CA and they came and they were perfect.

I will give them a look. I was in Pecatonica last month, was a long drive from here.

Old guy new Dragon

Hatchling Dragon
Just got an email and the roaches are on the way. I also ordered some food for them and bee pollen it shipped today as well. Do I need to get some calcium with D3 and vitamins too? I also was looking at the food chart and did not see dubias on it, are ok as a staple?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah, the staple insects arent on the list for some reason. you need calcium with D3 and vitamins (I use nutrobal),plus some pure calcium so as not to overdo the D3.Use the Ca+d3 2 days a week and pure Ca the other 5, 100g will last a long time. Bee pollen is good for sprinkling on veg, but my dragons dont like it, as for food I just feed my bugs fresh veggies as they are full of vitamins.
I ordered some more roaches yesterday, they will be here today. Quick, but the UK is tiny (would fit 2.8 times into Texas alone!) , thats probably why your post takes an extra day or 2.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just got an email and the roaches are on the way. I also ordered some food for them and bee pollen it shipped today as well. Do I need to get some calcium with D3 and vitamins too? I also was looking at the food chart and did not see dubias on it, are ok as a staple?
yes roaches are excellent staple daily feeder and super easy to gut load