• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Puff acting different after shed

puffthedragon

Hatchling Dragon
Puff finished her shed about 2 days ago, she has some very small pieces hanging on but for the most part, I think she's done. I've given her a bath every few days to help the process and she has seemed to love it. When I get home in the evening from work, she's always hiding in the back corner..what I would say.. sulking. She never sits in the back corner. Always on her log or basking on her cement rock towards the front. When I went to pet her last night, she black bearded me and hissed at me. This is not like her. She hasn't done this since we brought her home back in March. My fiance is the one who feeds her and cleans her cage during the day and says that her appetite is still normal and comes running when he puts her food in. But I can see her bowl when I get home, and it doesn't appear she's eating as much. What could be going on with her?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thought #1: A few of us are having beardies displaying brumation behavior. Brumation doesn't necessarily mean they will go to sleep for long periods of time. Some beardies will just significantly decrease activity levels. Not eating or basking as much, wanting to hide most of the day, not wanting to be picked up.

Thought #2: If its a "she," could be that she's gravid? When mine was gravid last year she was eating a ton and very active, and then suddenly slowed her eating, and began digging around, and did not want to be handled.

Thought #3: Shedding makes them cranky for sure and decreases appetite. Maybe she's just irritable from the shed.

Those are just what came to my mind with the information given. Maybe check into those and see if they sound like whats going on?
Anyone else got some input?

puffthedragon

Hatchling Dragon
Thought #1: A few of us are having beardies displaying brumation behavior. Brumation doesn't necessarily mean they will go to sleep for long periods of time. Some beardies will just significantly decrease activity levels. Not eating or basking as much, wanting to hide most of the day, not wanting to be picked up.

Thought #2: If its a "she," could be that she's gravid? When mine was gravid last year she was eating a ton and very active, and then suddenly slowed her eating, and began digging around, and did not want to be handled.

Thought #3: Shedding makes them cranky for sure and decreases appetite. Maybe she's just irritable from the shed.

Those are just what came to my mind with the information given. Maybe check into those and see if they sound like whats going on?
Anyone else got some input?

We have never seen her display any behavior that she is is gravid. She is usually pretty chill and laid back, basking all day and waiting for her evening loves. She never digs around at anything. The most movement I have seen her make is trying to get the shed off of her. I live in texas and its been getting really hot here, and the temp in our house has been getting hotter than normal, we find her hiding inside her hide sometimes, which is not normal for her either. Im guessing its brumation. Shes a grumpy little turd.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It just could be that she's hot and is seeking a bit cooler area.. If everything else is normal then just let her be and see what happens, monitor her weight.