• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Protein source for gut loading recipe

CarrieandJimmy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know there are a lot of premade products that you can buy, and I'll probably pick up one or two. I also want to make my own. I have everything I need accept protein. I want to make a Poultry or Fish meal. I already made one chicken meal at the house out of fresh chicken breast. Boiled it for one hour then pulled it apart. Slow dried it over time at 170 degrees, and then blended it into a fine consistency. I added that at a 50% ratio to some other grains, dried greens and other ingredients.

My point is... can you make your own protein meal? and what would be the best way to produce it at home. Or does this sound like a terrible idea?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know there are a lot of premade products that you can buy, and I'll probably pick up one or two. I also want to make my own. I have everything I need accept protein. I want to make a Poultry or Fish meal. I already made one chicken meal at the house out of fresh chicken breast. Boiled it for one hour then pulled it apart. Slow dried it over time at 170 degrees, and then blended it into a fine consistency. I added that at a 50% ratio to some other grains, dried greens and other ingredients.

My point is... can you make your own protein meal? and what would be the best way to produce it at home. Or does this sound like a terrible idea?
I guess my question would be why? Keep in mind that the proteins should be like what they would be getting in nature, and they don't eat chicken or fish..Chicken has high phosphorus levels is is questionable on if it should be fed and I'm not sure about fish..
If your wanting high good protein items here is a list of live feeders as they should be able to get the needed protein, moisture from the feeders and greens..
Crickets: 74% moisture, 1% Ash, 18% Protein, 6% Fat, 3% Carbs, 3% Fiber, 14 Calcium
Earthworms:
Redworms:
ButterWorms: 59% Moisture, 16% Protein, 5% Fat, 1% Ash, 43 Calcium
Dubia Roaches: 61% Moisture, 2% Ash, 36% Protein, 7% Fat, 3% Carbs, 20 Calcium
Locusts: 62% Moisture, 41% Protein, 5% Fat
Superworms: 59% Moisture, 1% Ash, 20% Protein, 16% Fat, 6% Carbs, 11 Calcium
Mealworms: 59% Moisture, 10% Protein, 1% Ash, 13% Fat, 3% Carbs, 3 Calcium
Waxworms: 61% Moisture, 16% Protein, 18% Fat, 1% Ash, 8% Fiber, 13 Calcium
Phoenix Worms: <10% Moisture, 17% Protein, 10% Fat, 34 Calcium
Silkworms: 76% Moisture, 64% Protein, 10% Fat, 8% Ash, 34 Calcium
Hornworms: 85% Moisture, 9% Protein, 3% Fat, 46% Calcium

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They can't digest meats like we can so things we eat are real bad for them.

CarrieandJimmy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm breeding roaches and crickets atm. They both have access to greens, apples, oranges, carrots and squash, but they both seem to like the dry food better. I like making the dry food at home, and noticed some people where using cat food or chicken feed as in ingredient in there recipe. I was guessing for some added protein? There seems to be strange ingredients in those feeds though.

Zoo med has a product that is for juvenile bearded dragons with a protein content of 24. They seem to use Soybean Meal, Alfalfa meal, Lima Beans and Fish Meal. I Have been grinding it up and feeding it to the crickets and roaches also. They love it. There is also the Flukers stuff, and crickets crack.

I'm trying to produce my own dry feed for crickets and roaches and want to know what my best source for protein is, and then how to produce it. I don't wan to buy the "meal". The Protein is going to come from a "meal". I wonder if dried greens ground into a powder is considered a "meal" Ill do more research.

I want something in this rang and have access to lots of different grains and seeds.

Protein... 24
Fat............3
fiber.........13
Ash..........10
Calcium...1.5
Phosphorus .5 (point 5)

I'm willing to drop the chicken thing. I forgot to look at its Phosphorus levels. Again I'm just looking for the BEST possible source to get my dry cricket feed protein level to the 24% range! The feeders will still have access to greens and fruits of sorts.

CarrieandJimmy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I guess my question would be why? Keep in mind that the proteins should be like what they would be getting in nature, and they don't eat chicken or fish..Chicken has high phosphorus levels is is questionable on if it should be fed and I'm not sure about fish..

Yeah Im not sure about the chicken thing either. But I did read that boiling meats will reduce phosphorus levels and retain protein Levels.

"Certain thermal processing methods for foods can reduce their phosphorus levels significantly without affecting protein content, which could help dialysis patients control their phosphorus levels while maintaining proper nutrition, according to a recent study.
These methods include boiling in water and stewing in oil containing some water. Also Drying the meats had some affects on the levels. Fish had a 4 to 1 phosphorus to calcium level before boiling and drying. Chicken has a 7 to 1 phosphorus to calcium level before boiling and drying.

Ill use what ever Protein is best. I'm just trying to figure out what that is . Flukers feed says plant proteins and animal proteins. I can buy cricket meal if needed, the stuff is everywhere now. They are turning crickets into protein bars these days. I have quinoa but its high in Phosphorus. I have sesame seeds they have good ratios.