• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible Pinworms?

Addisen

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys, I have a 6-7 month old beard named Marshall. He's a curious little lover, with a big appetite and normally lazy but does have his super active days. I clean his tank weekly, one week with bleach & vinegar (diluted with water, individually) and another week with just ZooMed's WipeOut. I put his wood hide & log in the oven at around 250-275 for about a good 45 minutes to an hour, and I clean his other Zilla hide and food bowls with warm water. Is it safe for me to use bleach and then vinegar and rinse well? I plan to get Marshall an upgrade tomorrow from his ExoTerra low wide tomorrow, but now, i'm not sure if I should hold off. I didn't give Marshall a bath for two days, which is completely my fault. I did this morning after I seen he had pooped a bit in his enclosure, which looked like applesauce. It was disgusting, his urate was white but his poop all mushy. So, i gave him a bath and he pooped, but it wasn't a normal poo. It was diarrhea with super worms, grubs, and roaches that weren't fully digested. I flipped, I didn't know what to do, I was worried and started messaging others on Instagram about it.. Just to get it out of the way, his crate is white. Marshall is so active, happy, alert and eats like a pig I can't even imagine this. I have such a big heart for all of my animals and I have connected to Marshie so much. Could this be possibly Pinworms? I wanted to try something out if it is possible, I was going to give him a few days and see how he poops, eats, and acts. If he doesn't improve, I plan to buy this: http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=Panacur

I'm going to see how much he weighs, and hopefully he'll start improving within the next few days so I don't have to go any further. I can't afford a vet appointment at the moment because I have a turtle with shell rot that is being treated and I just spent $154 on a vet bill for my Chameleon also. I'm in a crisis as suddenly my turtle gets shell rot, my Chameleon has a bacterial bump on his nose which I do have antibiotics for and now possibly Marshall. Am i going the right route? I do plan to get Marshall a vet appointment if he doesn't clear up, I just have to reschedule one for my chameleon & turtle within the next month. I don't want to sound crappy for this, I do love Marshall with all of my heart and i do treat all of my animals the same. Thank you to whoever helps. It's greatly appreciated.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So whenever you have bug parts in the poop the first thing you want to check is your lights. He should have a basking temp of around 107 degrees and he should have a few hours of light to digest after he eats.

Please don't treat with antibiotics unless you know for sure there are parasites and what the parasite is. Panacur doesn't treat roundworm or coccidia or other parasites. So you don't want to give something that you don't know is going to work or not.

Also it's not necessary to give a bath daily. If he is eating then he is getting hydration. If you are worried about not getting enough hydration, you can drip a bit of water on the tip of his nose and get him to lick it off. Baths are really only good to help loosen shed and to get poop off of them. They don't absorb water in their vent or skin so giving them a bath only hydrates them if they drink the water.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
My boy Skittles has had pinworms and a bacterial intestinal upset - both times it was as you are describing - loose, mushy, undigested bits, super smelly. So it is quite possible. If it persists I would highly recommend getting a fecal. But if that is his only issue right now don't fret about taking him in immediately. With Skittles I had to wait a month before I could get him in, which is not ideal, but he was otherwise healthy and has recovered fine. You can see if your vet will run a fecal without the exam (some will), or get a fecal float kit and do it yourself. There used to be a website that did decals via mail, so that could be an option to. Definitely don't treat without confirmation about what's going on! Good luck! I have also treated a turtle with shell rot, no fun! Hope everyone gets to feeling better