• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible health issues?

Jason98

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm a little concerned for the health and wellbeing of my little beardie, he's showing a few characteristics that have alarmed and concerned me recently, being;
-He's clumsy, when he's moving around he doesn't walk its more of a falling around, when going for food he tends to fall over and struggles to fix himself.
-He seems thin, I've had him on a good balanced diet and even upped his intake to try and fatten him up a little but he is still pretty thin.

Outside of these, there's nothing else for causing alarm - his eyes are very alert, he has good energy and never seems lethargic and his appetite is very healthy, the temps in his tank are good and he has a 10.0% and 2.0% UVB tubes paired with the proper basking lamp. He has a good sized enclosure and is a very sociable dragon in that he is content to spend time just lazing with me and is not aggressive when interacted with.

I just thought I'd come on here to get some advice before taking him to the vet as there is only one in my area who charges ridiculous amounts for even the smallest check up. Thanks :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum.
Can you give us more info like age, supplements being given, has he been seen by a vet, can you do a video, what are your temps..

Jason98

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum.
Can you give us more info like age, supplements being given, has he been seen by a vet, can you do a video, what are your temps..
He's just turned 5, been seen by a vet a couple times for routine check ups and worming, his temps vary from 36 at his basking spot to 24 at the coolest point of his vivarium.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What supplements do you give? any video showing what he does?

Jason98

Bearded Dragon Egg
I
What supplements do you give? any video showing what he does?
don't have any videos at the minute.but I'll see what I can do, he gets calcium and vitamin D supplements following instruction from breeders etc.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My bet is he is not getting enough UVB. The compact fluorescent bulbs don't provide enough UVB coverage whether you use 2 or 5, it's not going to penetrate deep enough into the tank to provide adequate coverage. Get a UVB tube style bulb. The most popular size is a 10.0 HO T5 bulb that you can rest on top of the tank or a 10.0 T8 size that needs to be mounted inside the tank over the beardies head.

Jason98

Bearded Dragon Egg
I thought that at first, however I don't think it can be that as I've regularly replaced his tube bulbs, 10.0 and 2.0 paired inside the tank, think my only choice may be to book him into the vets - hope he isn't ill :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would book a vet visit. I've never seen a 2.0 tube bulb. Falling like that sounds like it could be MBD, there is also something called ADV that is much more serious. How long have you had him and how old is he?