• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New just adopted a dragon and he doesn't seem to eat

Ddieni82

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have an adult male dragon in a 40 gallon breeder tank he came in I will upgrade when he starts eating and so on. He has logs and a hide on one side his food and water dish on other. His basking is 100f with the hot side ranges in the 80s-90sf and cool side in the 70s . I shred up collards greens, dandelion greens, and chard, with some diced up butternut . I change it every morning and it doesn't seem to be touched .... A little if any. I soak him 15 min every 2-3 days . He's seems happy for the most part but seems to sleep a lot . Night time temps drop to about 65 could he be in hibernation mode ? Oh I also dump in half a dozen crickets in at a time and they just seem to crawl on him .... I dust with calcium no d3 and 1 time a week I'll dust w calcium w d3 and alternate weeks use a multi . I have only had him 5 days .

Ddieni82

Bearded Dragon Egg
My dragon and a pic of the grinch my panther chameleon just for fun
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Any creature can go into a hunger strike when brought into a new environment.

Because of my work schedule I usually dump a half dozen crickets per dragon into their (multiple dragons in 1 tank) then check after work to see what they ate. and adjust the numbers accordingly for their dinner and the next morning feeding.

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Just keep offering greens and living feeders (crickets or others). Something it seems like beardies cant resist is phoenix worms, you can always try some of tvem to see if your beardie will eat them at least

Ddieni82

Bearded Dragon Egg
My local pet shops only offer super worms and wax worms ... For the worms. I offer super worms with no such luck. I'll give it a couple more days . I change his salad every morning. He sleeps a lot to is that normal this time of year. His lights come in at 7-830 he sleeps from 630pm- 8am ish.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would remove the substrate in the beardie's tank and switch to paper towels or tile. He's going through relocation stress and will eat when he's used to his new home. Just keep offering greens and make sure to remove any uneaten crickets. Any uneaten crickets will make the dragon's sleep cycle really disturbed.