• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nala The Beardie

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
How do you store roaches, so they don't skidaddle all over my house?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

rdoyle225

Juvenile Dragon
They can't claim smooth surface. Any plastic containers long as it's not rough in the inside and they can't get out well that's for dubias some of the other roaches like red runners and Turkish they can climb anything so those you would have to put like double-sided tape around the top of them to keep them from climbing out

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How do you store roaches, so they don't skidaddle all over my house?

Yep Dubia can't climb smooth surfaces, I use rubbermaid containers for all of mine with the 1 exception of a 10 gal set up but they still can't even with the glued corners..

JavianSB

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well things have been going great! Still in the temporary 20 gallon until Petco has their $1 per gallon sell or until I can find a decently priced 40+ gallon tank.. When I first bought her she was 6 1/3 inches and it's been 15 days and she's grown to 8 1/2 inches and has had 1 1/2 full sheds.. currently shedding her tail.. My Dubia roach colony is stable and growing I have about 25-30 females and 10 or so males and about 50 babies.. And outside my colony I have about 200 1/4-3/8 size nymphs, 500 or so supers, and 150 Phoenix worms for feeders.. Curtesy of Josh's Frogs and Dachiu Dragons (Where Nala Came from).

I currently feed 5-15 roaches twice a day and 1 feeding of kale mustard or collard greens.. And occasionally will sub out a feeding for supers or Phoenix worms.. I dust with calcium 1 feeding 5 times a week and a multivitamin twice a week.

I am going to weigh Nala today as I have recently gotten a gram scale so it will be easier. I think I've found an exotic vet close to me hopefully nothing goes wrong but if it does I'll like to be prepared..
Josh's Frogs are a really good distributor (They have literally everything for a great price) Dachiu has the best price for Dubia I've seen on the internet and they also sell dragons and other reptile supplies for a good price! Everything has been going good for right now I'll keep you guys posted! She's growing out of control ! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Be careful with superworms with babies, the head can stay alive in their belly, I thought that was a myth until someone posted that it happened to his baby/juvenile. Woke up and his beardie was dead with a worm crawling out. I don't remember exactly where I saw it. I started giving mine supers at a yr. You have alot of protein providers to choose from. I'm gonna order a few dubia online to see if they'll eat them, I don't really like dealing with crickets, you've got to have everything just right or they'll die. I'm happy that your baby is doing so well. Aren't beardies awesome!

JavianSB

Bearded Dragon Egg
Pics plz☺

P.S - Sorry for the flash. The lighting in my room is horrible! Also I use a wet towel to keep the humidity up in my breeder colony, the feeders are not sexually matured so they get all their moisture from food. Oh and most important I would opp for stainless steel but they only had bamboo but feeding rings/tweezers are a must especially if you don't like bugs crawling on you !

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah I've had a big silver tong for feeding since day 1! Your baby is getting big, fast! Take lots of pics so you can document her growth, and just for fun.

JavianSB

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah I've had a big silver tong for feeding since day 1! Your baby is getting big, fast! Take lots of pics so you can document her growth, and just for fun.

Exactly! I really need to get a new tank I've seen a Zilla Critter Cage 40 gal breeder for $99. Yes I just weighed her and she was 25.4 grams.. If she was weighed correctly lol. She's growing super fast at this rate she'll outgrow her setup by my birthday in September.. But yes I'll definitely take many pictures!

JavianSB

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well today It dawned on me that Nala doesn't eat veggies at all. I mean she'll eat the occasional apple cut or slice of kale/mustard green yet she's not eating close to the amount I put in her dish everyday. It's gotten to the point where I don't put veggies in there at all for her 2:00 PM feeding because I'm scared she's going to starve from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM. I've had many people tell me that up to 7 months to a year it's fine really if they don't eat a lot of veggies or the occasional veggie as they'll grow into it but the importance of veggies in the future is crucial and I want to introduce them to her before she just doesn't take them at all.. Any suggestions? Right now I'm substituting the veggies for Phoenix Worms because their larva to pupa to fly stage is incredibly fast and I feel like I'm just wasting veggies... Why is she so stubborn [emoji30]? And spoiled [emoji30]! She never wants me to put her in her enclosure so I wait until she just falls asleep on me then puts her up.. She still tries to climb up my arm before I put her down !
754a1e90e76427b38aaff1ec6baff52a.jpg

2c50afa701331e3091a2ebf3110a224d.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just make sure you are gut loading the feeder bugs as they will eat the greens and such and she eats the feeder bugs... Make sure you offer her the greens daily so if she does decide to eat some when your not around (some don't eat in front of people).. they won't starve themselves. Younger dragon's don't always eat the greens heck not all adults eat the greens my male doesn't like greens and my female will occasionally eat them.. I just make sure the feeders are well fed and I do give them slurries consisting of their greens that I put thru the blender making them into a liquid and I add supplements and give them some when I do their baths..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Greens never go to waste. If she's the only one you are feeding, you can put her uneaten veggies in with the bugs.

JavianSB

Bearded Dragon Egg
Greens never go to waste. If she's the only one you are feeding, you can put her uneaten veggies in with the bugs.

That's a really smart idea never thought of doing that! Going to start!

JavianSB

Bearded Dragon Egg
HUGE milestone today! Nala actually ate all her veggies! Like ALL, which never happens... And I gave her a decent portion! As I always say Google somehow or another has the answer to everything so all I did was google "how to get baby bearded dragons to eat vegetables" and walah. I saw a post that had two methods both genius well in-genius because they are so self explanatory.

1. Most beardies lick their enclosures a lot, this is how they test surroundings I guess.. heat, humidity. Anyways they lick their basking spot the most so what you do is place tiny pieces of veggie around their basking spot and they'll get to it eventually. - I felt like the was needed if your beardie eats absolutely no veggies and is for minimal veggie consumption.

2. Since vegetables aren't moving you need another way to catch the dragons attention what better way than color? After all it is scientifically proven that color grasp attention and that's not just in humans. So basically what the article said was slice the veggies how you normally do and instead of putting them in the food dish put them on a white paper towel or napkin or even white paper plate and the contrast of the veggie from the white layer will entice the beardie and boy did this work! She practically jumped a football field to eat which she normally only does for things that are moving! By far the best method! She ate everything like it was the best food ever!

JavianSB

Bearded Dragon Egg
Slight update: Nala has grown another inch since the last time I measured her and has completed 1 full shed plus another tail shed. She is currently shedding her legs.

I've been feeding a variety of insects Supers, Dubia's, and Phoenix worms. She eats about 10-20 insects in one feeding 2-3 times a day with salad always available. I've found she doesn't really enjoy water like that so what I like to do is put her in a medium size metal pan with water maybe twice a week so she poop but to keep her exited and in there I'll drop her a few supers and let her swim after them and she's has to like dunk her head in the water to get them so she drinks once she realizes it's water and not trying to kill her. (P.S. - I KNOW SUPER WORMS CAN BE DANGEROUS! I PRE-CRUSH ALL HEADS BEFORE FEEDING!)

She is just a joy. For Father's Day my grandmother even got me a membership card to this new petshop in town since I'm a new "father" technically . Their having a really good sale going on on ALL REPTILE SUPPLIES! (PetSupplyPlus) I'm getting a new Zilla 40 gallon tank for $56 hopefully if I gather the money before Wednesday :(.

Anyways everything is going great, got a little startled yesterday as she's very curious I want to let her explore a bit she ran to the edge of the sofa and before I could catch her she ran up it and jumped of the back I was terrified luckily she didn't hurt herself. I guess I'll only let her explore on my bed from now on until she gets bigger. I really think she's going to be huge especially because she's only 2 months and already 9 inches.

Can't wait for the future! :D

JavianSB

Bearded Dragon Egg
Addition to ^ : passed my edit time!

52eaffe190006b5e4651a18f28b5f625.jpg

3ba54c04505def0b1fd256d91720a3f5.jpg

P.S. She's very very orange with brownish yellow - my flash and her basking light make her look yellow...

1869bc84c3c88f403908f95d30c34262.jpg

-Bathing Pan-

ad5dcc22fbc6f25dfeb4a85efc6b8997.jpg

-Membership Card-

24266d152f75d587a1ca50949b17efe9.jpg

-Breeder Colony/Future Feeders- those little dots are poop and the bigger ones are babies -

25934e4057d20c0fdfab656a18972d42.jpg

-Phoenix Worms-

95f8f79ba11e24102894c2f0bd9b9cac.jpg

- 500+ small supers - Very Cheap @ Dachiu Bearded Dragons -

a77559055d24384153a124427d134438.jpg

- Feeder Colony of baby Dubia - Also from Dachiu -

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Your beardie is gonna be spoiled rotten which is GREAT! She is beautiful, she's getting big, fast. You're doing a good job with her, all your research has paid off, keep posting those pics