• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nala The Beardie

JavianSB

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well for a slight introduction my name is Javian and I currently live in Charlotte, North Carolina. I'm currently 15 and a Sophomore in high school. After school I plan on entering the veterinary field and attending NC State more specifically Animal Science. I've been interested in Beardies for awhile now and recently got reintroduced through my YouTube stream due to various breeders and hobbyist which sparked my interest even more. Not the best introduction but you guys get the point :) .

A few days ago (June 3rd) to be exact, I visited my first reptile expo, Repticon Charlotte. I kind of already knew I was going to get a beardie thanks to my aunt but I was keeping my excitement at bay.

I browsed for a few minutes allowing my anticipation to build and recede, hence I didn't see any beardies at all. The geckos and snakes were beautiful but I was determined. I finally made my rounds honing in on Daichu Beardeds. After a little back and fourth purchasing everything before I bought the dragon. I purchased a Female Trans G. Stripe Dunner. And shortly named her Nala. Like Simba's girlfriend in Lion King.
In all I think we spent $400 dollars give or take a few for roaches, a roach breeder colony, Exo Terra starter kit, Heat Mat, and of course Nala which ran me $90.

I plan on going out one day this week to get other things to spruce up her tank in the future and to price out her 40-55 gallon tank. I want to keep her tank as simple as I can for right now so I can implement good eating, feeding, and watering practices, so she can grow as much as possible as she's only 2 months and 6 1/2 inches long. I also plan on getting some roach chow and cleaners crews to maintain those.

Anyways, I'm pretty ecstatic to say I have my first Beardie. Luckily thanks to my aunt.
I'm thinking about blogging my interesting journey here because pretty sure that I'll need help along the way from a community full of reptile enthusiast of all divisions. I have tons of questions and cant wait to see my beardie bloom. I can't wait to meet new people! I'll try to post as often as possible, with pictures and updates.

As always - Stay Bearded :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
welcome. to you and nala. please read through the links below to get some great information put together by some of our members. you may find some conflicting information with what you have been told. if you have any questions, PLEASE ask here first - there are some really great people with a great deal of knowledge.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Please take a look at the links under out comments. There is some information on general setup information and such. Unfortunately, those "kits" aren't very good. The one that you bought is a little better than the previous ones they had but you are still going to need to get a few things. The main thing would be a UVB tube fixture and bulb. A T5 bulb is the most commonly used now I think, it puts out the best UVB coverage through the mesh top of the tank.

She is very pretty.

JavianSB

Bearded Dragon Egg
welcome. to you and nala. please read through the links below to get some great information put together by some of our members. you may find some conflicting information with what you have been told. if you have any questions, PLEASE ask here first - there are some really great people with a great deal of knowledge.

What links? And yea this is temporary until about tomorrow I have about $120 to spend on some new things!

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Welcome my fellow beardie friend! Like Canicke and Patsy said, go to the beardie sub forums within this forum. Alot of great info and good, experienced beardie parents here. Definitely go get that uvb light fixture (the tube), I used to have a different uvb set up, but was convinced to get the tube fixture, my oldest beardie is 10 yrs. Look forward to watching your journey with your new buddy. Btw, we love pictures here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

JavianSB

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome my fellow beardie friend! Like Canicke and Patsy said, go to the beardie sub forums within this forum. Alot of great info and good, experienced beardie parents here. Definitely go get that uvb light fixture (the tube), I used to have a different uvb set up, but was convinced to get the tube fixture, my oldest beardie is 10 yrs. Look forward to watching your journey with your new buddy. Btw, we love pictures here!

Thanks a bunch! I'm just getting a lot of mixed information about lighting do you have any recommendations for a 20 gallon? That will last me until she gets big enough for a 40 gallon? Like UVB, UVA, and basking.

rdoyle225

Juvenile Dragon
Most are using repisun long tubs for UVB.
7dfe17919a9cbe914bbe1d883ca3f28d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

rdoyle225

Juvenile Dragon
I am using a flood light for basking and heat.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
You want a baby dragons basking between 104-110F, cool side 90-95F, this will change when he gets to be a bit older. The above uvb can be used on the 20. I wouldn't use a flood light, go get him a "basking light" the flood lights don't have the uva needed to help digestion. Uvb is vital to the health and well being of your guy, as is uva. Hope that was hopeful ☺

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What links? And yea this is temporary until about tomorrow I have about $120 to spend on some new things!

the links are not seen when using taptalk, so if you need the links you'll need to use the website or let us know and we will copy and paste the links in a comment for you. Or if you go to the general care area the top links are our general care info.

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
'Basking', non-uvb bulbs come in many forms including flood lights. Halogens, incandescents, etc are all commonly used to provide heat and light to supplement a good uvb bulb if desired. Halogen flood lights are excellent for this purpose and i use one, myself.

rdoyle225

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you. I use a flood light for basking and the Retisun 10 for UVB.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Can't talk you into a basking light they have them at all petsmart and petco, the lights you all are using don't have the uva. The uvb light is separate. Uva is important for your beardies health. I've had mine for 10yrs and 7 yrs (I've got 8) just whatever you do, no color bulbs and no lights at night, unlike other reptiles they sleep in the dark. Good luck, you're gonna love your new bestie

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well for a slight introduction my name is Javian and I currently live in Charlotte, North Carolina. I'm currently 15 and a Sophomore in high school. After school I plan on entering the veterinary field and attending NC State more specifically Animal Science. I've been interested in Beardies for awhile now and recently got reintroduced through my YouTube stream due to various breeders and hobbyist which sparked my interest even more. Not the best introduction but you guys get the point :) .

A few days ago (June 3rd) to be exact, I visited my first reptile expo, Repticon Charlotte. I kind of already knew I was going to get a beardie thanks to my aunt but I was keeping my excitement at bay.

I browsed for a few minutes allowing my anticipation to build and recede, hence I didn't see any beardies at all. The geckos and snakes were beautiful but I was determined. I finally made my rounds honing in on Daichu Beardeds. After a little back and fourth purchasing everything before I bought the dragon. I purchased a Female Trans G. Stripe Dunner. And shortly named her Nala. Like Simba's girlfriend in Lion King.
In all I think we spent $400 dollars give or take a few for roaches, a roach breeder colony, Exo Terra starter kit, Heat Mat, and of course Nala which ran me $90.

I plan on going out one day this week to get other things to spruce up her tank in the future and to price out her 40-55 gallon tank. I want to keep her tank as simple as I can for right now so I can implement good eating, feeding, and watering practices, so she can grow as much as possible as she's only 2 months and 6 1/2 inches long. I also plan on getting some roach chow and cleaners crews to maintain those.

Anyways, I'm pretty ecstatic to say I have my first Beardie. Luckily thanks to my aunt.
I'm thinking about blogging my interesting journey here because pretty sure that I'll need help along the way from a community full of reptile enthusiast of all divisions. I have tons of questions and cant wait to see my beardie bloom. I can't wait to meet new people! I'll try to post as often as possible, with pictures and updates.

As always - Stay Bearded :)

Don't use the heat mat as they can't feel heat from below and can burn themselves on them same with heat rocks.
You have a really cute little one!!
I hope that the info in the links have helped.. Most important are heat, UVB, supplements, good food items and we've covered all of those in the information links so let us know if you have questions.

JavianSB

Bearded Dragon Egg
Don't use the heat mat as they can't feel heat from below and can burn themselves on them same with heat rocks.
You have a really cute little one!!
I hope that the info in the links have helped.. Most important are heat, UVB, supplements, good food items and we've covered all of those in the information links so let us know if you have questions.

Lol, the heat mat is for the roaches so they have a temperature gradient so they can properly breed - well breed faster.

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
I personally use a Chromalux halogen flood light to supplement my Megarays UVB and Reptisun 10.0 t5ho. It throws out great heat and full spectrum light in a wide spread. It really makes the overall appearance of the enclosure look much more natural and true to color. My beardie loves it....as do my potted plants in there.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol, the heat mat is for the roaches so they have a temperature gradient so they can properly breed - well breed faster.

ok good wasn't sure where it was being used..yes they do need the temp gradient to breed faster for sure (I have a large colony)