• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nail clipping?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Dragons nails are pretty long. Are they supposed to be or do I need to trim them? How much exercise does he need? How often do they shed?

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello, the nails should be shorter! You can use a baby nail clipper to just clip the tip (sharp edge) off! Try not to cut into the quick(vein)! You can wrap your beardie into a towel that way it dose not cause you dragon to much stress. Good luck!! Also you can use tile in their viv, it will help keep them shorter.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just adding that I have had luck clipping Bernard's nails close to bed time. We let him run around a bit and when he went to curl up, snip, snip, snip.

Yes, you need to be careful of the vein. If you do nick it, you can use cornstarch to stop the bleeding.

brasshandle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi corrine, we cut marleys nails with small nail clippers,cut the dark nail thats on top but not the white under nail that cuold bleed,its a game of witts with you and your dragon,best to catch them when there tierd.luckely you dont have to do it to often but practice helps get rid of the nerves,youll soon be a dab hand, brasshandle :) :) :)

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I cut Dragon's nails yesterday. He did really good. I put his foot on my finger and he sat there like a pro while I clipped them.

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I wait until Harley is almost asleep and very content and go to town...when we first got her she would not have any part of it...now she is just wonderful !!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Corrine, I'm glad the nail clipping went well. Congrats! ;D

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Another thing you can do is have a large rock (can be used for basking site) or tile flooring. These would help keeping the nails filed down.

xbeckyx

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think im pretty lucky with Max and Reggie. They let me cut there nails what ever time of the day. I just pop them on my lap and they just sit there. Im sure its because they like the idea of being pampered :p

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think Max and Reggie are spoiled little dragons. :D
That is awesome that you can clip their nails any time.