• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my enclosure so far

Old guy new Dragon

Hatchling Dragon
This is the enclosure I made for the future beardie. It is a work in progress for sure, it is 24in. deep by 30in. wide by 23in tall. I'am waiting for the glass for sliding front still. Any ideas would be great since I'am such a newbie, I want everything right before I get my dragon.
IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0653.JPG

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hi, I would for sure add a hide of some sort, they need somewhere they can escape to for security and sleep. Leave the system running with the lights on for 12 hours a day over several days and keep checking the temperatures, especially on the basking areas with a IR thermometer. If the temps get too high you may need to move things around or add more ventilation or dim the power of the basking bulb. Leaving the system running and getting up to full temperature will also allow any residual gas from the paint to cook off (dont know what type of paint or sealer you used?). Looks good though!

Old guy new Dragon

Hatchling Dragon
I used an oil based paint and have been leaving the light on for at least 12 hrs a day. I should have used another type of paint I think now, it does not smell as strong anymore but there is still some odor coming from it. I'am going to wait for several more weeks before I consider putting a beardie in it. I also will be putting some type of hide in for it as well. I picked up the glass installed it and painted the outside of the enclosure too. This paint was latex and has very little smell. I also checked the temp since I put the glass in and the basking area was 108 -110 F after a few hrs. checked with an IR. I'am thinking I will need to lower the basking platform or use a less wattage bulb., the one in there now is a 65
IMG_0657.JPG
watt indoor flood.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
110 is ok if thats the highest it gets, however get a dimmer for the basking light if you want to adjust it without changing the bulb. I cant see any vents? you will need to put a couple in for air movement. Otherwise it looks great

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If you are going to put more in I would put them lower down. Remember, as the air heats and rises it will go out of those vents, but only as fast as it can pull cool air in, as it is now it will pull that air mostly from the gap between the glass. By putting a few of those at the bottom, either on the back or the sides will keep the air moving in there, better for steady temps and humidity. You can buy these clear flat plastic stick on handles for the doors, they work well and dont get in the way. I like your workshop by the way, looks like you have everything in there

Old guy new Dragon

Hatchling Dragon
Great idea I should have though of that, Like a cold air return for a furnace. I'am a self employed wood finisher specializing in firearms wood. have been doing it since 1972. Almost time to completely retire, I have accumulated a lot of tools and stuff in almost 40 yrs. of doing it, what you can see of my shop is just a small part of it. It is a 30x40 foot shop.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Great idea I should have though of that, Like a cold air return for a furnace. I'am a self employed wood finisher specializing in firearms wood. have been doing it since 1972. Almost time to completely retire, I have accumulated a lot of tools and stuff in almost 40 yrs. of doing it, what you can see of my shop is just a small part of it. It is a 30x40 foot shop.

You are awesome :)

I would add more vents on the side. You want to get air to flow through there.

Old guy new Dragon

Hatchling Dragon
Well these should be the last pics. until I get a beardie. I made a stand for the enclosure and took it all to the house. Thanks to all for the great tips.

Attachments

• 20170812_170317.jpg
    20170812_170317.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20170813_094459_001.jpg
    20170813_094459_001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Looks fantastic! That is going to be one happy dragon!!!

If you want to give him a bit more decor to run around on / play on, I recommended a hammock. Very popular with beardies!!! I'm partial to the woven hemp ones.

Attachments

• 20170310_070908_001.jpg
    20170310_070908_001.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10