• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lights, lights and more lights.

LittlePeach

Bearded Dragon Egg
A couple of things I have questions about. I've read a bunch of the links you guys have for newbies, thanks for all of that!

I haven't had a bearded dragon in a long time, so I'm starting over for the most part. I made a very rookie mistake and believed the pet store about my bulbs. I first got a 5.0 UVB and then the reptile shop was like, nope here's a 10.0. But it's still little, a mini florescent. Not a tube and the hood I got is small. I have a double dome basking light that I have hung above her tank because the basking spot was getting way too hot. Now we're at good temps. I used that silly red bulb for all of about ten minutes before I had a feeling that it was bothering her. After reading posts here, I will be disposing of it quickly.

She's in a 20 gallon tank until I get the platform for her 40 built.

So here's the question, she seems to spend time "basking" under the UVB light, on top of a tree in her enclosure. Pretty close to the light, to where I think she's too close probably? (see pictures) I can bend the branches of her tree to make them not be so tall. She's also basking in her heat lamp a decent amount of time. Should I put the UVB light in the double dome and have both the heat light and the compact florescent over her basking spot for now or leave them separate.?

I want to upgrade to the tube and big hood when when we move to the big 40 gallon. Is it OK to wait until then due to cost of the bigger hood and bulb? It's going to be maybe two weeks or so.

(there's a towel behind her tank because she's in front of a mirror and I didn't want her to freak out because of it. Although in one picture she can actually see herself cause the towel fell while taking pictures.)
86af907d5a891e3d7b92c296390966ec.jpg
7c64e006d36f74470587995265bff7c8.jpg
54d404f30ae52e27527074e632478216.jpg
42b5a21d30fb048b2b327eb739b50ce8.jpg
0502d55c6291d332645c9e776d490b35.jpg
7b95a9c3a584ab7d419c8950382ab030.jpg

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Because you have her in a 20 gal tank the compact bulb should be okay and it sounds like she's getting herself close enough to it. The compact bulbs aren't horrible, they are good for temp situations. The only problem with them is they don't penetrate far enough down or horizontally in the tank for them to get good coverage. You will want to move the UVB and the basking bulb closer together. The two need to overlap so that they can create and process D3 and calcium.

I would try to get her bigger tank put together ASAP though. The bulb is okay to use but only for a short amount of time.

LittlePeach

Bearded Dragon Egg
Because you have her in a 20 gal tank the compact bulb should be okay and it sounds like she's getting herself close enough to it. The compact bulbs aren't horrible, they are good for temp situations. The only problem with them is they don't penetrate far enough down or horizontally in the tank for them to get good coverage. You will want to move the UVB and the basking bulb closer together. The two need to overlap so that they can create and process D3 and calcium.

I would try to get her bigger tank put together ASAP though. The bulb is okay to use but only for a short amount of time.
Awesome, thanks!

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can't add anything you've gotten what I was going to say... Cute little one!

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
So, I didn't use my red light last night or today. The tank is 80 degrees under uvb and about 98 under hot spot. Beardie is about 3 months old. I have a zoo med 100w reptile lamp. Should I change the bulb for a little more heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So, I didn't use my red light last night or today. The tank is 80 degrees under uvb and about 98 under hot spot. Beardie is about 3 months old. I have a zoo med 100w reptile lamp. Should I change the bulb for a little more heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes you need to raise the temp more for a baby they need Baby Dragons: Basking 100-107F warm 85-95F cool 70-75F