• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leafy Greens Seed Mix?

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
I'm currently considering growing some of my own greens for when I get my beardie. I was thinking that I'd grow them in little pots and instead of cutting them, put them pot and all in the enclosure and let him/her eat it straight from the plant as needed. I would build the styrofoam rock in the enclosure with little hollows to slip the pots into, so that the leaves would be right at eye level. Then, when it gets eaten up, I'd replace it with a fresh one.
I was looking at this mix here:
https://www.amazon.com/ORGANICALLY-...503255434&sr=8-6&keywords=microgreen+seed+mix
https://www.amazon.com/ORGANICALLY-...503255434&sr=8-6&keywords=microgreen+seed+mix
It hits most of the 'staple' greens, such as collards, turnips, alfalfa, and mustard. I'm just wondering if it's ok to have all those other greens and herbs in there, such as beets, lettuce, marjoram, dill, parsley, etc. I know kale is ok in combination, as that's in there too.

Advice? Should I get this mix, or should I hunt down all the staple greens separately instead? Would putting the live potted plant in the enclosure even work?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not really sure how having potted plants would go in an enclosure for a couple of reasons..1 being it would increase the humidity 2. it's likely the dragon will make a mess of it all..

I'm not sure but hopefully another member has that experience that will chime in. I know a few have cam's and they have live plants but cam's aren't as roudy lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree, potted plants will increase the humidity too much. I have grown my own greens out side of the tank though with success. One way is with an Aerogarden. You can buy a "grow anything" kit and use your own seeds and grow all sorts of stuff. I've also did a hydroponic way. I took a mason jar and cut a hole in the top, big enough to hold a plastic container with a cocofiber plug with my seeds on it. With a good plant light, it will grow in no time, you just need to keep the water full in the mason jar.

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
In that case... If grown outside and cut for salads, would this seed mix be alright to use? I may not bother though, my local grocery store has turnip greens, collards, and mustard greens for only $.94 a bundle.

Does anyone know if air plants are safe to plant in the enclosure? Not as a food source, just decoration and oxygen production/air purification. I saw one enclosure that used air plants glued to magnets, so they could be removed for watering and don't need to be misted in the cage.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In that case... If grown outside and cut for salads, would this seed mix be alright to use? I may not bother though, my local grocery store has turnip greens, collards, and mustard greens for only $.94 a bundle.

Does anyone know if air plants are safe to plant in the enclosure? Not as a food source, just decoration and oxygen production/air purification. I saw one enclosure that used air plants glued to magnets, so they could be removed for watering and don't need to be misted in the cage.
It would depend on if the air plant was a safe plant incase they bit into it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
anything you feed your dragon should be free of pesticides or potential exposure to pesticide.

Aziara

Hatchling Dragon
Looks like the question about this particular mix might be a moot point. When you buy a reptisun bulb from beardeddragon.co, there's an option of getting 'misc green seeds' as a bonus item. Not sure how many seeds they include, but it will be enough to get started probably.
Are y'all saying that non-organic greens are absolutely forbidden?? That bumps up the cost of greens to $4 a bundle, for a much smaller bundle. :(

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Looks like the question about this particular mix might be a moot point. When you buy a reptisun bulb from beardeddragon.co, there's an option of getting 'misc green seeds' as a bonus item. Not sure how many seeds they include, but it will be enough to get started probably.
Are y'all saying that non-organic greens are absolutely forbidden?? That bumps up the cost of greens to $4 a bundle, for a much smaller bundle. :(

I use non organic greens every now and then for my beardies and they are just fine. I just make sure they get washed real good.