• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile not eating much

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
I'm a little panicked. Turbo has been very fussy about eating. He will devour wax worms and his daily greens. I posted previously that he turns his nose up to crickets. And now he is doing that to Dubias. I know they can get bored with their diet, can I assume that's what's going on? He's still plenty active. And his bowel movements are regular. His tail has been dull grey for about a week. His body shed about 2 weeks ago. Could it be a shedding lack of appetite? I guess I'm asking at what point do I need to be concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fernfronds

Hatchling Dragon
My 8 month old female just went through a full shed and she was a brat the whole time, picky towards her favorite foods and hidden most of the day. However she just finished shedding completely and she's going back to her normal self. I wouldn't start to worry unless your baby stops eating completely for a few days. Maybe try offering some new exciting veggies or a hornworm or two. If he's still eating his veggies then I'm sure he's alright :) crickets and dubia can sometimes frustrate them as well because they crawl all over them, I've noticed that juvis and babies are more bothered by this than adults so that could be to blame. Do you let the bugs loose in his cage when you feed him or do you feed a few at a time?

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
I only put 2 in at a time. He was eating about 12 in a sitting. And now none yesterday or this morning. I know the wax worms are very fatty, but I wanted to see if he'd eat protein. And yes, he'll eat those. It's very frustrating if he's tiring of his proteins in a months time. He's kind of being bratty. He'll let me pick him up, but has hissed at me a couple times. I'm mixing up hid greens constantly, but I just got a new order of Dubias and I don't want to waste them. Grr!

Fernfronds

Hatchling Dragon
The dubias will live for a while, you don't have to worry about them dying before he eats them. Maybe stop offering the waxworms for the time being until he starts eating his other bugs again. He could be getting spoiled from all those worms and choosing not to eat anything else.

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
The dubias will live for a while, you don't have to worry about them dying before he eats them. Maybe stop offering the waxworms for the time being until he starts eating his other bugs again. He could be getting spoiled from all those worms and choosing not to eat anything else.

That's what my husband said. When he's hungry, he'll eat :) I just feel bad. Guess I'll try that. Thanks for your advice.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL that's a beardie for you he's holding out for the waxworms!! those are like candy/crack for them and they will hold out for them.. I would hold off on them until he's eating well again then you can do them as treats. know that they will not starve themselves they will eat when hungry. Yes the dubia will live a long time so don't worry about that they are not like crickets.. And keep offering the greens and maybe do some bee pollen on his greens..

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
LOL that's a beardie for you he's holding out for the waxworms!! those are like candy/crack for them and they will hold out for them.. I would hold off on them until he's eating well again then you can do them as treats. know that they will not starve themselves they will eat when hungry. Yes the dubia will live a long time so don't worry about that they are not like crickets.. And keep offering the greens and maybe do some bee pollen on his greens..
Ok, the fact that you're laughing about my situation makes me feel so much better. Seriously. We'll see how dinner goes tonight. I know he'll be hungry for sure! If it's a battle of stubbornness, he hasn't learned who he's dealing with yet. :)

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
Refused roaches again tonight. But very active today. Ate all his greens. Lots of glass surfing when he was in there. But he was out a lot today. Then rubbing his belly on his log. Maybe trying to shed his tail?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Refused roaches again tonight. But very active today. Ate all his greens. Lots of glass surfing when he was in there. But he was out a lot today. Then rubbing his belly on his log. Maybe trying to shed his tail?

Eating all his greens is a good thing.. how old is he again??

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
Eating all his greens is a good thing.. how old is he again??
He's 4 months old. And he's actively shedding his tail now. He's a mad man running around the tank trying to get it off. I'm assuming it's a shedding fast. Hopefully he's back to himself in a day or two.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's 4 months old. And he's actively shedding his tail now. He's a mad man running around the tank trying to get it off. I'm assuming it's a shedding fast. Hopefully he's back to himself in a day or two.

Hmm hope he gets back to eating. At that age they are typically eating everything in sight..

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk