• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long can he stay out of his cage?

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
So this is Puff. We got him 2 days ago. My daughter is in love with him :) I got home from work and find her hanging out with him. I know they love interaction but is there such thing as too much? Is there a rough amount of time that he needs to be in his cage for uvb lighting?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Forgot to post a pic!!!!
acada109c638fe190076e0e0fe51a142.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When mine were little I would leave them out for only short periods of time. When they got cold, which is quick with little ones, I would put them back in the tank.

Like BeardedHippy said, you want to make sure they stay in their tank for 2 hours after eating so they can digest.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
When mine were little I would leave them out for only short periods of time. When they got cold, which is quick with little ones, I would put them back in the tank.

Like BeardedHippy said, you want to make sure they stay in their tank for 2 hours after eating so they can digest.
That 2 hours after eating thing makes it very difficult during the week! I get home 6:30 at the earliest and have his light going off at 9 since it turns back on at 6:45 am to allow time for us to feed him before work. Any suggestions or should I just go with what I can?
Right now when I get home we take him out while getting dinner ready. I guess we should feed him before we eat so he has his 2ish hours under the lights. Currently we feed him.after dinner but the lights go off within an hour of feeding.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
id feed him first b4 anything else then he has plenty of time to digest his food. is ur beardie still basking when u turn the lights off?

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
id feed him first b4 anything else then he has plenty of time to digest his food. is ur beardie still basking when u turn the lights off?
Yes, he spends most of his time in the basking area. I check the temps frequently amd the are where they need to be for him. He will fun around but then head back to basking.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I did that too, as soon as I came home from work they would get fed and tended to then I would cook dinner. Sometimes they got to come out during the week and sometimes they would only come out on the weekends. Beardies are pretty chill and aren't completely needy, they understand that you have to make the money to provide bugs. THey are content just getting to see your face and hear your voice and maybe get a boop on the nose.