• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hotspots

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, I am using a tube T5 with reflector for UV and a 100w halogen basking spot, controled by an evo digital 2 channel thermostat in a wood 4x2x2 vivarium. The evo is great for keeping the ambient air temps perfect, but when the lights switch on in the morning obviously the halogen kicks in at 100% to bring the viv up to temperature and this creates a small hotspot directly underneath the bulb. Of course you only notice if you use an IR thermometer (those things are awesome). Whatever is under that hotspot can absorb some serious heat quite quickly. I did have a rock there but removed it because it was just getting too hot (130f), even after the light turns down it radiated the heat slowly. So now my dragons are further away from the basking lamp.
Should I change the bulb for one that doesnt focus the light quite so much, or just give them ways to get closer to the lamp but away from the hotspot?.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The bulb is as high as it can go. Part of the problem I think is the time it takes for the bulb to bring the vivarium up to temperature, takes a couple of hours at least. Once it is the halogen power drops to 60% which is fine. The quicker, I could bring the vivarium up to temp the faster the bulb power drops. That being said, wouldnt a more powerful bulb or extra heating,like a heatmat(dont like those though) be more beneficial?

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
If that is your goal, then yes a higher wattage would raise the ambient temp faster. Try to position the bulb slighly off center of the basking area.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The problem is fixed now thanks. I took out the large piece of cork bark that was there and replaced it with a big hardwood branch. Temps on it are perfect, 110f maximum and my beardies can get a lot closer to the light source. They do find it a bit slippy to climb though, but it doesn't put them off.
The cork bark must have been a pretty good heat sink.
I will be keeping a close eye on it, but I'm hopeful it's all good now.