• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi, new blood here

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello I am Tim, now the proud owner of 2 baby beardies and very cute they are too. I want them to have absolutely everthing they need to big and happy, to which end I will probably spoil them rotten. My second vivarium shold be here tomorrow, so they both get their own digs (4x2x2). They are eating better than I hoped considering their new environment, Im already through the box of locusts from the pet shop. Will see what they make of the dubias arriving tomorrow.
One thing they do not have yet is names, Im not even sure what sex they are. They guy I bought them from in the pet shop said they looked female ,but he didnt sound too sure. I read that they all look female at first until they get a bit bigger. Until I know, pointless giving them names I may have to change later.
So, it's all looking good so far and now Ive joined this forum I will have all the advice i need. Looking forward to seeing them develop and chatting with some of the folks on here.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there! Don't worry about the names too much - more than one of our members have beardies whose names don't match their sex. If you find a name you like - go with it! You probably wont be able to "sex" them for several months. There is a lot of good information in the links below - put together by a few folks on the forum for "all things beardie" - please read through these - a wealth of knowledge ! If you have a question, please do not hesitate to ask - here first, please. MOST pet folk shop provide basic and sometimes incorrect information. ps - we love pics!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello I am Tim, now the proud owner of 2 baby beardies and very cute they are too. I want them to have absolutely everthing they need to big and happy, to which end I will probably spoil them rotten. My second vivarium shold be here tomorrow, so they both get their own digs (4x2x2). They are eating better than I hoped considering their new environment, Im already through the box of locusts from the pet shop. Will see what they make of the dubias arriving tomorrow.
One thing they do not have yet is names, Im not even sure what sex they are. They guy I bought them from in the pet shop said they looked female ,but he didnt sound too sure. I read that they all look female at first until they get a bit bigger. Until I know, pointless giving them names I may have to change later.
So, it's all looking good so far and now Ive joined this forum I will have all the advice i need. Looking forward to seeing them develop and chatting with some of the folks on here.
Welcome and looking forward to seeing pictures! I am glad that they will have their own homes so yo won't run into problems between them....
I couldn't agree more that not all pet stores will offer you "sound" advice so we are glad that you are here as we have all been thru this long enough and can help...
If you haven't already please do take a look at the links below our comments (if your using taptalk they don't appear so let us know) as we've put everything you need for happy dragon's in those links. and don't be afraid to ask..

VeraR13

Hatchling Dragon
Welcome. I named mine spike even though I have no way of knowing if this baby is male or female. I doubt it will mind either way and that is my favorite little dragon on my little pony, so I agree Canicke. Just pick something you like. I do have problems remembering that one of my dart frogs is a girl however because I call her funny face because she looks like Groucho Marx. Not sure I got the spelling correct, but hopefully you get this picture.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks, yeah I have been thinking about it. They are both subtly different from each other, I suspect I have both a male and female but I have no basis for that other than intuition (one is a bit bigger ,but that could be because its a bugpig). The more time I spend with them, the more their little personalities will speak to me, names will come. No rush though, we will hopefully be together for a long time.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks, yeah I have been thinking about it. They are both subtly different from each other, I suspect I have both a male and female but I have no basis for that other than intuition (one is a bit bigger ,but that could be because its a bugpig). The more time I spend with them, the more their little personalities will speak to me, names will come. No rush though, we will hopefully be together for a long time.

I love how they will get their own little quirks and personalities that's what I love the most.. In the links below some of our comments we have all sorts of info and in there we have included how to "sex" them so you know if you have male or female dragons, this will be important to know as they grow up lol

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have given them names at last. Im sure I have a male and a female (yeah, you will all be laughing in a few months when I turn out to be completely wrong lol) The girly, well she is more demure and delicate, all she needs is some little eyelashes to flutter. I have named her Lulu
The male, is a chunky monkey, growing like a weed. I have named him Percy, because he will make a lovely purse one day...Lol no, its because when bugs go in the food bowl ,he is in there so quick,like a lightning thief stealing poor Lulu's dubies (i am going to teach him to be a gentleman)

I would love to post more pics, but i am appauled by the poor quality of the photos on my little camera. There is probaly some setting on it that needs changing, if I cant figure it out I will get a better one.

VeraR13

Hatchling Dragon
I have given them names at last. Im sure I have a male and a female (yeah, you will all be laughing in a few months when I turn out to be completely wrong lol) The girly, well she is more demure and delicate, all she needs is some little eyelashes to flutter. I have named her Lulu
The male, is a chunky monkey, growing like a weed. I have named him Percy, because he will make a lovely purse one day...Lol no, its because when bugs go in the food bowl ,he is in there so quick,like a lightning thief stealing poor Lulu's dubies (i am going to teach him to be a gentleman)

I would love to post more pics, but i am appauled by the poor quality of the photos on my little camera. There is probaly some setting on it that needs changing, if I cant figure it out I will get a better one.
I was just thinking about my frogs and how the females are larger. Lol I hope it isn't the same here, but geat names nonetheless. [emoji4]

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

LCfrogs

Hatchling Dragon
I don't know the sex of mine either. So right now I'm going with female, and named her Sparta. I did this on purpose. See, if she turns out to be a he, then the name will be Spartacus!