• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Sweden!

Korall

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I joined this forum a while ago but never got time to introduce myself. I currently live in Sweden and i am very interested in anything reptile and i currently own a tortoise that i love.

Recently i found out a lot about bearded dragons and i'm very curious about them. You will probably find me asking around the forum about enclosures, diet, substrate etc.
I'l probably have a fantastic browsing experience on this website :)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome - enjoy your journeys!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome!!! Glad to have you here!! Under several of our comments we have put together a ton of info on all areas of their care so you can take a look at those and it should cover everything enjoy!!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Since you've been researching and your interested in dragons I would be very interested in knowing what kinds of greens, veggies and bugs you have available to you over there..

Korall

Bearded Dragon Egg
Since you've been researching and your interested in dragons I would be very interested in knowing what kinds of greens, veggies and bugs you have available to you over there..

Sure!
Greens is the easy part as I already have a lot because of my tortoise (Although I do not exactly what is okay for a bearded dragon to eat yet in terms of leaves)
I've got dandelion, hibiscus, squash leaves and flowers, roses, pansies, plantain (Not the fruit) etc

Bugs is harder though. I can get mealworms (Though I've heard that they are high in fat), maggots from the fishing store and I also know that a pet shop here sells crickets and another bug (Which I can't remember what kind)

For veggies I just have the usual store bought ones, carrots, cucumber etc

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
Welcome fellow Scandinavian!
There is a great webstore situated in Denmark where I get all my bugs from: Creeps4u They have no problems with shipping over the borders and have the best prices and quality of animals I have found. I get dubia roaches and waxworms normally, but crickets and superworms are also good options.

Korall

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome fellow Scandinavian!
There is a great webstore situated in Denmark where I get all my bugs from: Creeps4u They have no problems with shipping over the borders and have the best prices and quality of animals I have found. I get dubia roaches and waxworms normally, but crickets and superworms are also good options.

So do you have your own colony with the ones you bought or do you just order new ones whenever they run out?
Il definitely check out the website, it will probably be quite easy to ship from Denmark as the border is just a few hours of driving from here.
Thanks!

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
I buy a few hundred roaches every few months. The last time I bought were around christmas and the colony is just now starting to look thin, they are magnificent breeders if kept right, and live for up to a year after you get them, depending on the age when you recieved them.

Korall

Bearded Dragon Egg
I buy a few hundred roaches every few months. The last time I bought were around christmas and the colony is just now starting to look thin, they are magnificent breeders if kept right, and live for up to a year after you get them, depending on the age when you recieved them.

Roaches seems to be a good option, they last long and don't turn into butterflies and they don't eat each other like crickets.
The only problem I see is if they escape they are going to be really hard to get rid of in the house :p

Will a bearded dragon do fine with just roaches and waxworms for insects?

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
The roaches are easier to keep inside the container than crickets, they can't climb plastic so as long as you have a tall plastic box with some sort of mesh for air you should not have any escapees, and the ones that may escape will not do well in your house, these are Dubia roaches, tropical roaches that need more heat and food than your regular house roaches. They also can't climb plastic so as long as you have a tall plastic box with some sort of mesh for air you should not have any escapees.

I feed mine almost exclusively on roaches, she gets superworms or waxworms on occation as a snack, and she is a fat, happy girl.

Korall

Bearded Dragon Egg
The roaches are easier to keep inside the container than crickets, they can't climb plastic so as long as you have a tall plastic box with some sort of mesh for air you should not have any escapees, and the ones that may escape will not do well in your house, these are Dubia roaches, tropical roaches that need more heat and food than your regular house roaches. They also can't climb plastic so as long as you have a tall plastic box with some sort of mesh for air you should not have any escapees.

I feed mine almost exclusively on roaches, she gets superworms or waxworms on occation as a snack, and she is a fat, happy girl.

Yeah, il probably just have them in a large plastic tub with some holes with net for air.
I think i found out what kind of worms the pet store around here had, i think they were superworms and they also have crickets.

Oh, and what do i feed them (The crickets, roaches and worms)? Just like fruit or vegetables?

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html This is a great guide on what is good to feed your dragon. I am not sure if you are planning on getting an adult or a baby, babies eat about 20% greens and 80% bugs, while adults will eat 80% greens and 20% bugs. I have an adult and she gets bugs every 3 days, 5-6 adults roaches or 10-ish half grown ones. Babies would of course need daily or even twice each day depending on how young it is.

Korall

Bearded Dragon Egg
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html This is a great guide on what is good to feed your dragon. I am not sure if you are planning on getting an adult or a baby, babies eat about 20% greens and 80% bugs, while adults will eat 80% greens and 20% bugs. I have an adult and she gets bugs every 3 days, 5-6 adults roaches or 10-ish half grown ones. Babies would of course need daily or even twice each day depending on how young it is.

So for a baby, around 5-10 roaches per day? And some greens on the side to get it used to eating greens later in life as well as provide extra hydration?
Should i just feed as much as it wants to eat?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sure!
Greens is the easy part as I already have a lot because of my tortoise (Although I do not exactly what is okay for a bearded dragon to eat yet in terms of leaves)
I've got dandelion, hibiscus, squash leaves and flowers, roses, pansies, plantain (Not the fruit) etc

Bugs is harder though. I can get mealworms (Though I've heard that they are high in fat), maggots from the fishing store and I also know that a pet shop here sells crickets and another bug (Which I can't remember what kind)

For veggies I just have the usual store bought ones, carrots, cucumber etc
Fantastic! I have updated the links below my comments take a look at the food link and see what looks familiar lol

Korall

Bearded Dragon Egg
Fantastic! I have updated the links below my comments take a look at the food link and see what looks familiar lol

I couldnt find them on the list but, do crickets make a good staple daily insect for a beardie? Since i can get them quite easily (Both from a pet store and outside in the fields :p). Though i feel like a baby beardie might have a hard time eating them as some of them are quite large and jump around a lot...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I couldnt find them on the list but, do crickets make a good staple daily insect for a beardie? Since i can get them quite easily (Both from a pet store and outside in the fields :p). Though i feel like a baby beardie might have a hard time eating them as some of them are quite large and jump around a lot...
Yes crickets can be fed as a staple just NOT ones from outside! only give them ones that are bought from petstores or online, crickets from outside are exposed to all sorts of chemicals/bacterias and most typically carry parasites that transfer to your beardie..Also crickets from outside have a shell unlike crickets that are bred to be feeders they have no shell.
The size of the feeder bug should not be wider than the space between their eyes as that is about what they can swallow...

Korall

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes crickets can be fed as a staple just NOT ones from outside! only give them ones that are bought from petstores or online, crickets from outside are exposed to all sorts of chemicals/bacterias and most typically carry parasites that transfer to your beardie..Also crickets from outside have a shell unlike crickets that are bred to be feeders they have no shell.
The size of the feeder bug should not be wider than the space between their eyes as that is about what they can swallow...

Oh okay, but yeah. The local pet store sells crickets :D

Korall

Bearded Dragon Egg
If I were to get a bearded dragon (I haven't completely decided yet) I would probably get a juvenile.

How hard would it be to "tame" the juvenile compared to a baby beardie?
(When I say baby I mean hatchling basically)

The reason I would get a juvenile instead of a baby is because the only place I found selling them here only sells juveniles, and also because then it could eat the crickets straight away since they are quite big.