• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Genders

crystal leonard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, got three dragons... vary in age from 8 months to possibly 5 years... all look like males before I do the flashlight test... Need a better flashlight. So the older one and the youngest both head bob to each other and to my middle one... the middle one waves more than head bob and never gets black... is it possible I have a female? The vet even was unsure...
26c6f5d04a7083c69a3c63073ae033c7.jpg
531e66c28fb0ba8828cf33a5b3e4a4f1.jpg
b4dbbbbbffe9ba666d26bb00855e82bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's hard to do the flashlight test on older dragons because their tails are so thick. In my house I have one male and 2 females. My oldest female is almost 5, the male is almost 4 and the other female is 4. My male head bobs at everyone and has never waved. My horny female will wave and do a slow head bob to the male BUT she also head bobs at the other female because she doesn't like her and is trying to show her who is boss. My other female doesn't head bob or wave at anyone.

crystal leonard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well yesterday my middle one, Igor, ran after my newer guy Zeus. Just head butted him and my boyfriend and I grabbed both of them to separate them... if I can't do the flash light test how can I be sure I have a female? Igor is the only one who the beard doesn't puff up or get black and Igor waves... the other two don't wave... just head bob a lot...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well yesterday my middle one, Igor, ran after my newer guy Zeus. Just head butted him and my boyfriend and I grabbed both of them to separate them... if I can't do the flash light test how can I be sure I have a female? Igor is the only one who the beard doesn't puff up or get black and Igor waves... the other two don't wave... just head bob a lot...

On the older one you should be able to see the bulges of the hemipenes if you raise the tail backwards towards the head ****gently and not too far*** for a boy and the bump in the middle for girl.. if you can't do the flashlight test. I know with my year and a half male Simon you can see his hemipenes when I lift his tail back..

crystal leonard

Bearded Dragon Egg
If I go off the back of the tail alone I have three males... but is my middle one acting right? He seems to be acting like a female.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If I go off the back of the tail alone I have three males... but is my middle one acting right? He seems to be acting like a female.

How old is Igor (the middle one)??

crystal leonard

Bearded Dragon Egg
He/she has always had a I don't care attitude... my seven year old can even pick him up cuz he don't care... how can I be sure

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He/she has always had a I don't care attitude... my seven year old can even pick him up cuz he don't care... how can I be sure

And you've tried to do the flashlight test in a nice dark room?? can you post a good picture of him/her tail area. Even on my 1 1/2yr male I can slightly see thru with flashlight and he's got a super thick tailbase.. I can also see his hemipenes when I lift his tail back..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What is the flashlight test? How old are they usually before you can tell the sex?
This is what I wrote up that's in the general info thread on how to do this.
How to tell if my Dragon is a Male or Female????
It can be very hard to tell if your Dragon is a boy or a girl if they are young so sometimes you just have to be patient...
The best way to tell is by placing your dragon on a flat surface and gently lift the tail up towards their head *****Be very careful not to bend it too far back****** at the base of their tail above their vent you will either see 2 ovals on each side with a space between them that is a boy and his hemipenes. Now if you see a bump in the middle then that is a girl..
If it is hard to tell then you can go in a dark room and in the same position use a led flash light and shine it down from the top shining through their tail this should show the organs inside..
http://pets.stackexchange.com/questions/5923/how-do-i-tell-the-sex-of-a-bearded-dragon

crystal leonard

Bearded Dragon Egg
We tried but I don't think the flashlight was bright enough since I still couldn't see...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We tried but I don't think the flashlight was bright enough since I still couldn't see...

Give it time it took me a long time to figure out if my 1st dragon was a girl or boy at the time she was only 30gr I went back and forth for awhile lol you'll know in time..

crystal leonard

Bearded Dragon Egg
Give it time it took me a long time to figure out if my 1st dragon was a girl or boy at the time she was only 30gr I went back and forth for awhile lol you'll know in time..
The other thing is Igor ran toward the new guy Zeus and head butted him... so does that mean he is acting territorial??

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The other thing is Igor ran toward the new guy Zeus and head butted him... so does that mean he is acting territorial??

likely yes..They are solitary creatures and only come together to mate... It is best that they don't have interactions with eachother for numerous reasons.. Injuries minor and very serious, mating if genders are male female...