• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exotic Pet Insurance

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, this post is more for new owners, like myself who have been wondering if it is worth taking out insurance for their beardies. I couldnt find much info about it on here, so I did some research and came to some conclusions. If the unthinkable were to happen and your dragon needed an operation it can be devastatingly expensive and in these uncertain times, having the spare cash at the drop of a hat is going to be problematic for a lot of people. When you think of this, insurance seems like a good idea, just in case....
However, insurance policies vary greatly in price and the things that they cover. They can cover vet bills, death ,fire ,theft, weather events etc, depending on the policy it could cost a LOT over a year. Now multiply that by the 15 plus years that your dragon could live...its a lot of money for 'just in case'. There are also things which aren't covered by most policies. They will not pay out on anything to do with breeding, so if your girl becomes eggbound you would still have to pay for treatment despite paying your premiums. They will also not pay on pre existing coditions, so treatment for those would fall to you too and of course there is an excess charge on all claims anyway.
Of course, if you look after your dragons well and give them everything they need there is every chance that they will never need more than a checkup from the vet.
So, in conclusion I decided no to the insurance. Instead, I have opened a savings account which will become an emergency fund for vets bills. Every month, I will put in what I would have paid for an insurance policy. If I need it , it will be there, if I dont (fingers crossed) need it Im sure I can always find other uses for it. It just makes more sense than esentially gambling my money with insurors, the only winner is me and my beardies.
If you do decide to insure though, just make sure you read the policies carefully so you dont get any suprises.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I decided no on pet insurance too. The reason being is, all the ones I seen you still have to pay the whole bill out of pocket and get reimbursed from the insurance. It's not like our insurance where you pay a copay or your deductible and they bill the insurance for you. From my experience with pets, the people that don't take them to the vet are the people that can't afford the upfront costs. There are other options that can provide the help right away like Care Credit or Lending Tree. I like your idea of having an emergency pet fund set up.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hmm, I'm not sure if it works like that here in the UK. As far as I know, vets claim costs directly from the insurors, minus your excess charge. However, its been a while so I dont know if thats still true, rules change, so I would have to check. If you have to pay for it anyway, it almost defeats the purpose of having it in the first place. It means vets are essentially turning away business rather that wait a little while for an insurance payout, kinda sucks for the pets.
Ah well, glad I dont have that perdicament then, hopefully they will never, ever get ill. My last dog had to go to the vets only twice in 14 years ,maybe that luck will transfer :D