• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dig box substrate question

Dwaggie

Bearded Dragon Egg
hello!

i have a little question
my beardie (5 y, female) had been on sand all her life before she came to me two months ago. A week ago, i switched to linoleum floor with some rocks to climb on and a self-made climbing/basking/hiding... block.
since she's started to scratch on the floor, I'm thinking she might miss a place to dig.

so, i'll give her a digging box.
question is, will cheap ole playsand be alright?
would dry cocofibre / coconut soil be better?
something else entirely?

in all honesty, impaction doesn't worry me, she's been fine on sand for 5 years, i hand-feed her for the most part (because she's a picky butt and won't touch her greens until i wriggle them in her face) and she has regular morning poops (she'll skip a day or so per week, but usually she goes in the morning before i leave for work, so... it should be okay)
i need to watch my money, so (dry, of course) cocofibre or playsand would be awesome, since they're super cheap to come by :)
but i'll go for something else if that's still too much an impaction risk

oh, one more thing.
will it be enough for the box to be roughly as long/wide as she is? or does it need to be larger?
i'm planning on making a ladder of some sorts, so she can climb into it, and fill the box half-high with substrate, so it won't get all over the place too quickly.
i was thinking about 10 cm / around 4ish inch high for the substate