• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cooling tips

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, well I have realised that there is a problem that I am going to have to face for a couple of months of each year. I live in the UK, so for the majority of the year I would be trying to raise temperatures in my vivs, but at the present, flaming June has been true to her name. It is getting crazy hot here, if last year was anything to go by it could get hotter.
I must point out, my temps arent exceeding their limits...yet. However, my basking light gets turned right down by my thermostat, by mid afternoon its operating at about 25% and it keeps steadily falling. Im worried they are not getting enough light to digest.
My only option is to somehow cool the hot end of the viv enough that the lights power will come back up a bit. Opening the doors up (a bit of plywood pushed into the door runners and the glass pushed upto it works) for more airflow works to an extent, but the ambient air temperature is still high enough that lamp power doesnt go up much. I have been thinking of creating a fan fixture that can slot onto the door frame and should be able to pull a lot more of the hot air away.
Then I thought, a lot of you guys live in places where its hot like this most of the time, maybe you have some tips ,methods you use to cool your dragons homes? Ice packs arent really an option for me, my freezer is too small.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hey - I live in southern Arizona. where its on the far side of warm quite a bit of the year. today is 106 F actually. I don't like this time of year. I actually run the air conditioning in the house while I am not home - I usually have it set to cool down to about 80 or 85. This allows the kids tanks to operate within normal limits. I like the idea of the fan. just make sure your kiddo cant get any fingers in the blades !!.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would say run a fan in the room or over the tank but I don't really know. We just turn the air conditioning on when it's too warm out.

@Wookie is over the pond and is going through the same problem, maybe she can help.