• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Career aspirations

Chicklet

Hatchling Dragon
So I've been doing some soul searching for a few years and I think I've finally decided what I want to do with my life and it's be a vet. I was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom for me before I go full tilt into this. I live in the US and the thing I'm most concerned about is facing the people who want to put their pets down... just because they don't want them. I honestly don't think I can handle that because animals are far too precious to me.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I've heard that the profession has a very high rate of suicide and depression. Where it seems nice having patients that can't talk back, it's very hard having patients that can't tell you what is wrong with them. As much as it hurts us to have a sick or dying pet, it hits them even more because they see so many in one day.

I commend anyone that becomes a vet because they have to have a very strong personality and good bed side manner.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Chicklet - a couple of questions - are you now in school? studying what? or are you employed? doing what? You might want to consider working as a vet tech for a bit. vet school is highly competitive. hard to get in.

Chicklet

Hatchling Dragon
Hi Chicklet - a couple of questions - are you now in school? studying what? or are you employed? doing what? You might want to consider working as a vet tech for a bit. vet school is highly competitive. hard to get in.
I'm actually an assistant manager at build a bear but a vet breezed through my doors one day and offered to let me shadow him a bit. I haven't gone to school yet because of the costs. My current job offers financial aid for college though.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
if he offered you the opportunity to shadow him - DO IT !!!! It will be invaluable

Terra66

Hatchling Dragon
Back in the covered wagon days, I had veterinary aspirations. I became a Vet tech first, then realized there was no money in it. (the covered wagon days, vet techs barely needed a license) so I went back to school and got my biology degree. So with that, and a token I could get on the subway (token-what we used to use before metro cards) lol. I applied to Veterinary school, and got accepted-the day my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had already met my (now ex) husband and was obligated (only child) to stay home, so my dad didn't have to deal with it alone.
Fast forward, I got married, became an EMT (human medicine!) and had 4 kids. (riding an ambulance while pregnant taught me the importance of practicing balance). I always dreamed of working with animals, so I now have a houseful of pets. I became an EMT-CC (a small step below a paramedic), after I filed for divorce. (the husband wanted all the freedom to do everything he dreamed of and I supported him-but I wasn't supported to pursue my own dreams, so...) I am going to be going to Paramedic school next year (there's a waiting list!) but for now, doing something I love-medicine, is seriously a dream come true.
The Moral of my story...do what you dream of!! Don't allow anyone to deter you or steer you off course! When given an opportunity-grab it with both hands, and hold on tight!
My daughter is now in school for her biology degree, she works as a vet tech part time and has for over a year, but she wants more. I have told her exactly the same thing.
Good Luck and my father gave me words of wisdom...if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life!

tomatoman

Bearded Dragon Egg
What a great choice Chicklet. it might be great to deal with the animal everyday. The thing is, you need to have a strong passion, then it will be good in your future. If you choose your career based on the salary only, you will not get the enjoy moment you have been searching for.