• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can an enclosure be too large? (leopard gecko)

Dwaggie

Bearded Dragon Egg
heya you all!

i have a question.
i came accross a really cheap, really big terrarium (wood)
it's 120cm x 60 x 60
so, about 112 gallons.

i have two (actually, three, but one has escaped a few weeks ago, and i haven't found her yet
icon_sad.gif
( ) female leopard geckos.
they've been kept together since hatching (they're about a year old this month) and get along well so far.
i would love to build them a pretty new background, add some climbing rocks and general stuff.
but i'm worried the space might be too big for them.
i'd say the bigger the better, but i've heard arguments that they might get stressed in too much space.

is that a thing i need to watch?
they're currently in a 100x40x60 enclosure, (about 63 gallons)

i'd love to hear some experiences with space
icon_smile.gif

(and maybe some tricks to find a lost gecko... i've cleaned everything and keep looking into corners and behind/under furniture. i can't find her anywhere...)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
cant help ya too much with geckos - I had 2 in the same viv for a couple of years then one passed (they were both about 10 yo when I got them) I know that baby beardies can get stressed if their home is too large - kinda scary for them - but don't know about geckos. how to find a lost gecko? goodness. it can be hard to find a lost beardie - and they're much bigger. they can get into the TINIEST and weirdest places (one of our members once "lost" his beardie and found him in a box of chocolate flavoured cereal!) good luck

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My leos never really moved around much so I can't really say. I kept both of mine in the same tank but have since learned like all reptiles, it wasn't a good idea. They ended up passing a few months after I got them

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
I have 2 female leopard geckos in an exo terra 18x18x18, but had housed my previous gecko in it before hand. So I’ve always given my geckos allot of space, because they love to climb, crawl and dog around.
My friend actually lost his Leopard gecko Charmander for 4 months, and he just randomly appeared, thin, but over all healthy (and quiet naughty behavior wise), so just keep an eye out, be very very careful with everything you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk