• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

black and white

Brianna

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
my bearded looks completley black and white except his tail his tail is a normal color :confused:

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
sorry to bump this but, i brought lily to the sunshine outside and her head turned black and white? i was wondering whats wrong, i put her back in her cage and she was back to colour?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
natural sunlight is the best source of uvb there is for reptiles. it makes them do funny things from bearding to running around like their little hair is on fire. if you have a sluggish or sickly dragon, then the natural unfiltered sunlight will usually work wonders.

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
idk if this is true with beardie's but with a lot of desert reptiles not just lizards they will change their color to black on 1 side and white on the other... the black side is to the sun to gather as much heat as possible and the white is on the other side and it is used just to break up the outline so it is not as noticable to prey as if it would be all black... just a thought that came to my mind....

Brianna

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
idk if this is true with beardie's but with a lot of desert reptiles not just lizards they will change their color to black on 1 side and white on the other... the black side is to the sun to gather as much heat as possible and the white is on the other side and it is used just to break up the outline so it is not as noticable to prey as if it would be all black... just a thought that came to my mind....

so thats why their tails are a whitsh colour

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I agree with Exile!! You will notice that if your beardie is cold it is usually alot darker. They darken their skin/scales to absorb more sunlight which warms them up. If they get too hot they will turn a brighter color to repel the suns heat. Dark colors can also show stress when the beardie gets circles or lines oll over its belly ,that should normally be white, these are called stress marks im prety sure. This doesnt always mean they are stresses, but can mean that. Just thought i would add a little something here.

Exile Skimmer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thats a good point i didnt even think of the stress related with colors but in a way if you think about how it comepares to you its all similar... when you get sick you loose your skin color, look pale or white, and you dont want to do anything besides sit there or sleep but when your excited or happy you have color in your skin, moving around, going with what ever happens.... another thing you can relate too probly is when its hot outside do you where all black clothes and get really hot or do you where bright colors to stay cool.... and the same thing when its cold i know there are exceptions but most sweatshirts are a darker color to attract sun....

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
yes!vthis is their natural heating and cooling work :D Since they are cold blooded they need a way to heat up and cool down in the wild:)

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My dragon gets outside time every day (up to an hour or so). He usually starts out kinda dark, still (frozen in place) and he looks up at the sun quite a bit. After about 15-20 minutes or so, he'll lighten up a tad. He's really funny to watch when he starts to lighten cuz that's when he starts his tippy-toe walk. He'll put his head down, hold his tail fat out straight, even with his body and then he'll tippy-toe it (literally toe-heel/toe-heel in slow motion) across the ground until he finds a bush he can climb up into. If cover is far away, he makes the distance in short start/stop bursts. While stopping, he'll immediately look up at the sun or check the sky for any large birds. If he sees one, he'll freeze in place, put his head on the ground, flatten out his body, inhale air, spread his ribs out so he looks like a flat pancake w/legs, all the while he turns himself a dark grey/brown. Sometime he runs back toward me and has even tried to climb up my leg!.....such a momma's boy - lol

FUNNY STORY: We took him fresh water fishing w/us last week and I put him on a large dead tree that was jetting out at the water's edge just in front of me so as to keep a good eye on him. He hates deep water so I knew there was only one way he could get off the log and that was toward me. At first he loved the sun even though the log was in dappled shade. He didn't move a muscle for more than an hour - he was very entertained by the dancing dragonflies that kept buzzing him, just far enough out of reach that it was probably driving him crazy.

Then, the bubble was popped - he caught sight of a LARGE shore bird (a Great Blue Heron) more than a 100 feet away in the tall reed grass. He instantly lowered his body, turned dark and kept looking over at me like he was terrified! Who knew they could see so far away! Anyhoo, I rescued him until the Heron flew off, then we took a break on the sandy shore while he calmed down. His color returned to normal (a light grey/tan) and he spent the next hour running around licking the bolders and drift wood trying to figure out where the heck he was -too funny. All together, he enjoyed the day out (about 6 hours worth) and had sweet dreams that night about his big adventure - color changes and all (sometimes I think they're more chameleon than dragon).......PS - he slept in the next morning, guess being a "wild" man for a day really took it out of him! - lollll.