• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bedding for year old bearded

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
I am changing to a 75 gal tank. I have always used the reptile carpet but I have heard that I should use sand. What kind? If this is net true, what is best to use. Also, do you recommend the one bulb that is for basting and sunlight. Never used before but seems like my light fixtures last about 3 months. I have a screen top that I place lights on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No I would advise you not to use sand it's just not worth the risk of impaction/odors/bacteria/eye damage....
Some use the MVB mercury vapor bulbs I don't have experience with them...Many of us use the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 as it penetrates down thru the mesh tops with no issues and the T5's last up to a year.

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
No I would advise you not to use sand it's just not worth the risk of impaction/odors/bacteria/eye damage....
Some use the MVB mercury vapor bulbs I don't have experience with them...Many of us use the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 as it penetrates down thru the mesh tops with no issues and the T5's last up to a year.
Does this kind of bulb T5 have to have a fixture to go in? Is this the long tube light?What size for 75 gal tank?

rdoyle225

Juvenile Dragon
A T5 fixture. My brother just found out. That if you buy a 24 inch fixture the 22 inch bulb fit in it. Just an example

It needs to cover 2/3 of the tank.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
A T5 fixture. My brother just found out. That if you buy a 24 inch fixture the 22 inch bulb fit in it. Just an example

It needs to cover 2/3 of the tank.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Thank you. Getting new lights and fixtures since moving to 75 gal. What would be best to use? Brand and size.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Check out the website Light Your Reptiles. You can get all sorts of lights and fixtures there and the man who runs the company is more than willing to answer any questions.

I personally have a 36" long tank and use a 36" long UVB bulb. It's a ZooMed T5 fixture and an Arcadia 12% bulb. For basking, I personally like and have had luck with the ZooMed basking bulbs. Lots of websites like PetMountain or Dr. Foster Smith tend to have them on sale multiple times through the year so I stock up. You can never have too many bulbs. I buy them in different wattages so I have what I may need on hand.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
My goodness I've been sheltered, I've only recently been going on line to purchase beardie supplies, always got my stuff at petsmart or petco and paid a small fortune! Thank you for some websites, are there any others?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Kpontius

Hatchling Dragon
My goodness I've been sheltered, I've only recently been going on line to purchase beardie supplies, always got my stuff at petsmart or petco and paid a small fortune! Thank you for some websites, are there any others?

After paying a small fortune for crickets at PETSMART I discovered from other sites to order online. I can have 1000 crickets for $24.00 delivered. Now I don't need as many but still a lot cheaper. And discovered Pet Mountain for supplies. Of course Amazon and E-bay

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club

Pet Mountain, Dr. Foster Smith and lightyourreptiles are my main ones for supplies along with Amazon. I look at all of them
And go with the best price. For bugs there are a ton of places. My favorites are Great Lakes hornworms, dubia roaches.com and coastal silkworms. There's also rainbow mealworms, Linda's gone buggie, Josh's frogs, mulberryfarms, ghann's cricket farm, flukers, just to name a few!

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
Hard to beat Amazon especially with Prime membership. I get almost all my hardware for my reptiles and aquariums from there. Ebay is good for parts, too. Kensfish.com carries reptile supplies, too.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I have amazon prime, I wanted to re-do a couple of my enclosures and went looking for beardie "furnishings" and not much appeared. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place