• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie with neck edema...help?!?

Cinna

Bearded Dragon Egg
IMG_4935.JPG
My beardie Cinna is about 1 1/2yo. 2 days ago I noticed her beard is huge compared to normal. She was warm and lethargic and didn't want to eat. I gave her a rehydration soak and the lethargy went away, and later that day she ate a few mealworms, but no greens. Her beard is blackish and soft but large, not tender to palpation. She finished her shed last week. She poops regularly and did poop a little after the soak-normal in appearance. I'm worried she may have an infection of some kind. She seems uncomfortable. She also has a painful leg, (Lt. rear), she avoids using it and withdraws to touching it. On exam it has full rom, and feels normal, but is very slightly swollen. She has not fallen, or injured herself outside the enclosure. I'm thinking she may have strained it somehow. All other limbs are normal. Not sure what's going on-most worried about the neck edema...I don't have the funds for expensive vet bills. She usually eats well, and stays well hydrated. I use her beardie supplements on her food- VOT 1-2x/week, and vit d blend and probiotic 4x/week. Enclosure is kept clean and at app. temps. She has a large water bowl as well as her uvb bulb and heat bulbs. I've had her since she was about 3-4 mon old. She's always been a healthy active dragon with a great appetite :)
I've searched the net throughly and can't find a lot about the neck swelling without other symptoms. Giving supportive care and soaks.
Any help is appreciated. :)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hi there. you have a beautiful baby. there are sooo many possibilities. if she strained her leg, the bearding may be a result of pain. may not. its odd that the bearding and the leg pain presented simultaneously. hard to know if they're related. honestly - if it were me - I would keep an eye on her for a day or two and see what happens. i wouldn't wait too long tho. best ---

Cinna

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks. This am after her soak I could feel something in the swelling, she's been eating celery, and it feels like a small stick of it that didn't go down right... the leg still not sure but she was in and out of her water bowl a lot last week and so maybe was slippery. Coincidence I think.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks. This am after her soak I could feel something in the swelling, she's been eating celery, and it feels like a small stick of it that didn't go down right... the leg still not sure but she was in and out of her water bowl a lot last week and so maybe was slippery. Coincidence I think.
If you can feel something in her beard I would seek a vet to see if they can remove it..And then to get her leg looked at..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I took her to the vet, nothing stuck just edema. Started antibx and antiinflammatory.
If you don't already you may want to pick up some probiotic powder to help restore the natural gut flora that antibiotics destroy...