• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking spot question

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Okay I know I ask a lot of questions on here... Sorry!!

I just ordered my bearded dragon from Carolina Classic Dragons, he'll be here Thursday morning! YAY! =) I'm going to get some last minute things tomorrow like extra decor. When making their basking spot is it better to use rocks or a branch? I've seen a few different enclosures but I'd like to see what everyone says.. Right now I have a branch but at the tallest point it sits about 4 inches away from the bulb which I think is too close and it makes me worried. I have a digital thermometer with a probe and I did a "test temp" in there today and it got up to 111 degrees.

So I was thinking of moving the branch to the cooler side and getting a basking rock so he's not so close to the bulb.

Pat B

Super Moderator
There is never ever a 'stupid' question. :rolleyes: If you don't ask then you don't know!! 4" is to close. The distance should be more like 8" - 10". Your basking light and UVB should be very close together. If you can post pictures of your setup that would be very helpful. If you are getting a tiny beardie then you will want to keep his enclosure as simple as possible. Having a lot of 'decor' will enable feeders to hide. If you want to add things when he gets older that would be better. Beardies are simple creatures and really don't need a lot of frills. I have seen rocks and branches for basking. I personally use both. Maybe you can lower the branch or raise the lights? Good luck with your beardie....come back often with your questions and concerns. :)

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
I'll post a picture tomorrow once I get everything set up =) right now everything is in there and still in boxes so its looking a bit crazy! All the lighting is set up just not the decor or food bowl and the reptile carpet is still rolled up =P He is a baby, he's 7 inches. I planned on keeping it very simple, just a branch for him to climb on and I am gonna get a rock tomorrow, I'll use that for his basking spot instead. I saw the stacking ones at the pet store so I'll get those and make a nice little spot for him.

I have everything else for him but the more I kept looking at that branch the more uncomfortable I am with it, so I will be switching it tomorrow morning!

I'm always on here asking questions, and I'm sure once he arrives I'm going to be asking a million more questions.. Its pretty obvious I'm a first time lizard owner! haha

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Also, we will be raising the light eventually. My boyfriend is going to make a stand within the next couple weeks but for the time being it is on top of the screen. (Only the heat bulb, the UVB tube is mounted inside the tank)

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
This is Drakkar's enclosure. Food bowl behind the rock obviously has no food until he arrives tomorrow. We're still debating on that branch in there... It doesn't feel that stable so I'm thinking about taking it back early in the morning before he gets here and picking up a better sturdier one!!

908664_4661447250376_548223415_n.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think your enclosure looks very functional & nice.
icon_thumright-1.gif

I see nothing wrong with your basking spot height, looks about right to me, providing you have the temp in the vicinity of 110F right where your thermometer sensor is in the Pic, that is the right area that you need to take the Basking temp from. The basking branch appears to be stable enough for a young BD with it's 3 point stance, but you are there, we are not ;) .

What you are calling a rock does not appear to be a natural rock, but a manufactured one, possibly plaster or plastic. You would be much better off finding a good sized real rock from outside to replace it with. Wash it well, then bake it in the oven for 30-45 minutes at 300-350F, being sure to let it cool thoroughly prior to putting it into the enclosure. River rocks work great (but a rock is a rock). A real rock will work as an emery board as it climbs on it, so it will help to keep it's claws wore down.

Good Job
icon_thumright-1.gif
& Good Luck with your new Companion

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you =) that branch is actually one I got yesterday, the other one was way taller! The rock is fake. I'll definitely go get a real one! I read that real ones act as an emery board but totally forgot until you just said it. Looks like I'm heading back to petsmart to return again! I've literally gone there about 5 times buying and returning things. They've gotta think I'm nuts! Haha

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
New enclosure. I got the stacking rocks and glued them to keep them secure. The branches I got I actually think are too big for a baby... They were cheaper and much more sturdy though so I feel better about them. With the last branch thing it felt like if he wandered on to the higher branches it would tip over so that was a no go =P

I'm totally up for critique. I know he's a baby and I put him in a big enclosure so I tried to keep it simple with only having 2 things in there but I totally feel like its not simple at all.. I love it though... He just arrived so he's checking it out right now.

DSCN0145.JPG

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I think the new setup is a winner as a far as I can see in your picture. You are very wise in keeping thing simple, uncluttered and to the basics. As long as your enclosure temps and gradient is good then I believe your little dragon will be a very happy dragon indeed:)
Enjoy!

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you!!! My temperatures are on point so far! He looks very relaxed on the warm side.. I think he's going to be taking it easy today since he's been traveling for the last 24 hours! It almost looks like he's trying to take a nap :cool:

I hope he likes it in there! I literally have gone back and forth to the store atleast 10 times buying and returning things.. Sometimes things just don't look as good as you thought they would at the store! haha

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would suggest using a feeding dish rather than the substrate to feed from though ;) . Not the most sanitary when your BD walks through it, after you don't know what it has previously walked through ;) .

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
I have his food in a dish behind the rocks you just can't see it =P Its in the left corner, you can kind of see a little glimmer from it. I only put it on the substrate in hopes he would eat a couple pellets.. he kept licking his lips when I put him in there so I figured it was worth a shot.

The food is back in the dish now though :) and I'm gonna go get some greens for him a little later today.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you feed pellets, be sure that they are moistened first. Feeding dry pellets uses much of the BD's water stores in the digestion process & can quickly lead to dehydration. I also feed pellets, RepCal Bearded Dragon Food, I soak them in just enough water to soften them, spongy, not soggy, prior to feeding. Most of my BDs will only eat the Green ones, invariably leave the red & brown ones behind, so I use those to gutload my feeder roaches & they get them anyway ;) .

Pat B

Super Moderator
He is a beautiful dragon. I like your layout....simple but yet functional for your beardie. Nice steps you made. I have never had any luck with the pellets. I think my Spike is the fussiest eater on the planet!! :)

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you Pat B! I had about 4 other layouts before I went with this one. :) I love it! And Draco does too!! Plus is was fun putting it together how I wanted to. The branch thing I have in there is 2 pieces put together and it was fun "designing" the rock steps! Much better and cooler looking than the fake rock cave. I came to this setup because of things I've read on this forum. It has helped me out a TON! I'm already addicted to this site and I'm sure Draco will thank me for that! He's been zooming all around today, his favorite spot is at the top of his branch though!

Draco chowed down on some crickets today. He ate a couple pellets too. I have some mustard greens in there for him as well. He was eating pellets at the company I got him from so we'll see if he continues to like them or stick his nose up to them =P

Pat B

Super Moderator
I would definitely continue with the pellets in a bowl! If he used to them then hopefully he continue to eat them. It is always good to have a backup in case you run out of feeders etc. Good luck....:)

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Thats what I'm hoping! I tried to give him some greens this morning.. he wanted nothing to do with them. But last night when I was trying to get the extra crickets out of his enclosure so he could get ready for bed he decided to come down and help me out by eating the crickets I couldn't catch :) what an awesome little helper! He must've known I was getting irritated with the crickets =P