• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice - Help

jasonjones

Bearded Dragon Egg
This post covers all of the past 2 days so read all before commeting

Wednesday 1pm
One of my dragons acting weird, it scratches at my doors and walls when out and when in viv it is constantly digging the sand and when the area is bare and still just the wood it still tries to dig, i have also noticed that its more skittish with me. I presumed it was a male and when shows pics on here was also told it was a male, so could it be its a female and wants to lay eggs?, when i lift it i cannot feel anything different in stomach but saying that would not know what i am looking for anyway
here is video I took of it, I made a sand tub and put it in and it started digging, made no attempt to get out of tub which it could easily have done.

Wednesday 2.12pm
Its now dug a small cave
https://s4.postimg.org/t4y68jdjx/13939594_1076765169044621_4720524358974088587_n.jpg

Wednesday 5pm
for 4 hours it was out roaming my flat again and 2 hours ago put it back into tub and this is what its doing

Wednesday 6pm
https://s4.postimg.org/dslegcest/14079576_1077130105674794_1477818403343488459_n.jpg

Wednesday Midnight
She has laid eggs
https://s4.postimg.org/6v4uderel/DSCF0094.jpg

Thursday 1.37am
she is now burying them
https://s4.postimg.org/c2b79r5jx/14055060_1077142475673557_5671898886445483736_n.jpg

Thursday 2pm
she laid 17 of them, 16 were sqishy to the touch like they were a ballon with water and 1 was solid like an egg should be. I have popped two in an incubator and see what happens

History of them
I rescued these two 3 months ago and was told they were male and even posted on various facebook groupd and everyone said they were male. Anyway the hated being locked up and went psyco until the glass was opened and then they could come out and explore my hallway and then go back and bask when they wanted, they got into a routine of bask, explore, bask etc..
Both got on well together when wandering about
A month ago one started glass surfing
It started to do this more and more and was told its normal so not to worry
A week ago it started scratching the bottom of the viv and trying to climb the wall, when out it was trying to climb the door to my room.
At the weekend there the scraching/digging got worse and noticed it was becoming very skittish and did not want to be caught!
On Tuesday got some sand/soil and put it in a tub as after reading websites it suggested it was a female wanting to lay eggs.
I put it in the tub on Wednesday morning and it digged a little then got out and wandered about, I put it back in at 2pm and thats where story continues above.
I never knew this was a female so all of this is a complete shock and surprise.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Congratulations you have a girl with eggs!

Sorry to hear you have been told she was a male but in a way that's good cuz male and male housed together IS NOT GOOD! They can fight to the death. It is not normal for them to be housed with another beardie. In the wild/in their DNA once they come out of the egg they are off on their own to be by themselves.

Male and female housed together is not good either as the male will dominate the female and have sex with her so much so that it will reduce her life.

If I were you I would get them separated or you will have so many babies you won't know what to do.

I'm not sure what you are asking, are you wanting to keep the eggs?

jasonjones

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm not sure what you are asking, are you wanting to keep the eggs?

It was initially to query why it was digging/scratching the viv but things took a turn and situation changed.
My query is are the eggs viable?, in that are they suppost to be like a half filled ballon of water? what about the full shaped solid one?
I have kept 3 and popped them in an incubator, as this was not planned or expected do not want to be rearing them as no experience, what has happened so far is way more than I expected.
If these 3 develop and hatch then thats a victory for me, if they dont then thats down to what the $%*& have I got myself into situation.

They are not housed together, they roam my hallway together but sleeping/basking arrangements different, they know their own viv to go back to, to bask etc..

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ah okay! Excellent job on separate houses!

How many babies are you wanting? I don't think the eggs you are describing are viable?

Do you know if they even had sex? As females can lay eggs even when they don't have sex with a male. And they can lay more than one clutch! I know someone said at one time her female laid 5 clutches just in a few months.

Have you taken a flashlight to the eggs? If you do that and you see veins then you know you've got babies!!!!

jasonjones

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ah okay! Excellent job on separate houses!

How many babies are you wanting? I don't think the eggs you are describing are viable?

Do you know if they even had sex? As females can lay eggs even when they don't have sex with a male. And they can lay more than one clutch! I know someone said at one time her female laid 5 clutches just in a few months.

Have you taken a flashlight to the eggs? If you do that and you see veins then you know you've got babies!!!!

As I said I presumed they were both male so was not watching them
Not checked with torch yet, but will leave it a week then check them as dont want to play with the eggs just now

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Either way congrats on the eggs - maybe future babies! I will be anxiously awaiting to see if they have veins! You will have to let me know!!!

I'm sure later on this evening more people will have more to say!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
wow what a journey you have been on for sure.. And I guess sometimes only the dragon knows if they are male or female lol
I am not the one to ask about gravid females and how to tell if the eggs are viable or not other than with the flashlight.. But there are others on here that do..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Wow what a journey indeed! I have no experience with eggs but I guess if she was with the male the harder eggs are viable.