• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

40 gallon long ok?

GatorGuy0127

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all, I was trying to look around on this but didn't really find anything.

Would a 40 gallon long tank be I'm for a beardie? I happened to pick on up for $20 from a guy I met with on Craigslist to buy red runner feeder roaches for my new baby. $20 was a pretty good deal though the tank was dirty and has cracks in the edging, not the actual glass. Said he hasn't had antrhing in it for years.

So is this an ok tank? If not I figure it shoukd be ok for my baby to grow in at least til petco has another $1 gallon sale and I can get a new 40 bredder.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A 40 gallon tank is a good size. In the beardie world though it's not about the gallon size but about the measurements. A good minimum size take would be 36"x18"x18". You don't want a tank that is shorter than that where the dragon could climb out of it.

Just a note on red runners, they do climb glass and they are FAST!

GatorGuy0127

Bearded Dragon Egg
The tank I got is a 40 long. Its 48x13x17. So only,like a foot front to back. The guy had told,me it was a 40 breeder but I didn't make sure on the dimensions and it turned out its a long.

Ok so I've seen the red runners can and can't climb so now I dont know which. The guy I got them from breeds them as feeders and said they can't climb the glass but could the silicone. Also I plan on feeding my baby in a 10gal I have until he's larger so i don't lose uneaten roaches or crickets in the larger tank

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Any reason on the red runners instead of dubia? just curious

GatorGuy0127

Bearded Dragon Egg
Any reason on the red runners instead of dubia? just curious

Just cuz there's a guy 15 min drive from me the breeds them. I dont think ill be dealing with him again though cuz I got the tank from him too and he told me it was a 40 breeder which it isn't.

I feel like the 13in won't be enough for an adult to turn around in easily/comfortably

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just cuz there's a guy 15 min drive from me the breeds them. I dont think ill be dealing with him again though cuz I got the tank from him too and he told me it was a 40 breeder which it isn't.

I feel like the 13in won't be enough for an adult to turn around in easily/comfortably
Gottcha, had to ask as I breed Dubia and have only heard of how crazy fast the red runners are.. Yea 13" isn't very much for an adult..

GatorGuy0127

Bearded Dragon Egg
Gottcha, had to ask as I breed Dubia and have only heard of how crazy fast the red runners are.. Yea 13" isn't very much for an adult..

Yeah kinda fun watching the little beardie going at a few lol they are quick.

Yeah. Luckily I have actually found another tank online that the person still has. An actual 40 breeder with screen top for $30

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I bought a few from out reptile store once, they told me they were "clumsy climbers", put the first one in the tank and it ran right up the glass and almost out the tank! I had them in a small plastic container in the very cool basement and they actually started having babies within a few days. I said NOPE!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh and the tank isn't wide enough for the beardie to turn around once it gets bigger. You want something that is going to be as wide as your beardie's possible adult length.

GatorGuy0127

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh and the tank isn't wide enough for the beardie to turn around once it gets bigger. You want something that is going to be as wide as your beardie's possible adult length.

Yeah I haven't seen any of them climbing yet. Not even in the plastic tub theyre housed in so idk.

Also the guy with the 40 breeder for $30 telling me "oh sorry my daughter said we need it longer" which I assume is more a "someone offered me more for it cuz I wasnt using it and had to get it out of storage to sell when you wanted it"

But stroke of luck I got a free tank tonight lol I work security at some apartments and someone but out a tank and stand to throw out that I took. Using a ruler it seems to be a 48"×15"×15". So a 45 gallon tank. Not the best either but better and free haha

Latest posts